Fishing Forum

Full Version: Bear L bound on Mar 2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It's time to break out the heavy equipment. [fishon] I'm meeting up with a good friend coming down from Idaho Falls area Thursday at Bear L. Another good friend that should be coming with us is going to be out of action for a while with a wing repair. [bobSad] Going over Beaver mountain with my sled in tow is only concern. But that's the sacrifice I'm wanting to make for some HYDRO-THERAPY. Temps are going to start warming up again this coming weekend. [bobhappy]
[signature]
I checked the marina and drove the summit about garden city yesterday. There is alot of ice and the marina is locked up at the dikes. I have a big heavy duty aluminum boat and I wouldn't go through it. I didn't look at the east side and cant comment on it. As cold as its been its not looking good for boat fishing. Just passing on the info, it would suck to drive all that way an not get to fish. It is supposed to get windy so Im crossing my fingers.... [:|]
[signature]
Talked to a friend that fished it last weekend and he said that the ice at the marina then was about 1/2" and he got through that okay, but out on the lake there was enough floating ice that it kept knocking their lines out of the down riggers... They only caught one small cut...

The canyon isn't bad unless you hit it right during the storms.. They crew is doing a great job up there this year and it's been fine for travel... I've been there in several storms this year and even then the travel speed may be down to 40-45 mph but it's still passible, except for during the avalanche closures and when that happened I went home through strawberry canyon to the north, which will put you near Preston on the other side... I'd watch the weather and if it warms up I'd still go for it... Hopefully Mike will contact you and let you know the current marina condition close to when you are planning on being there... He's pretty busy lately with all their flooding, but hopefully he will check in here and let you know the details... Maybe Scott will too.. Good luck... J
[signature]
Thanks guys for your input. I got word it was ice off last week after high winds pummeled it through a source who was in contact with Darin Pugstone. I also was up there 1 1/2wks ago which broken ice was still in place with open water out towards center of lake and bubblers at Garden City state park marina had a clear path going out to the entrance of lake at that time. Todays storm will caution me from taking a side trip to check it out but maybe tomorrow I can get an early start with a cup of Joe. We were informed that ice was stacked up along the shoreline, east side at Rainbow was clear. I know it has turned cold again thinking ice may have reformed in areas. I'm always in for safety first.
[signature]