Fishing Forum

Full Version: Huntington North - Almost a smelly trip
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I fished HN today from my tube (might have jumped the gun a bit) using fly gear. I used a medium sink line (#4) and size 6 bead head soft hackles in tan/green/pearl and olive/pearl. The reservoir is still about 80% covered with ice but it won't last much longer. I was able to navigate around the ice with no problem. It was a calm day so the ice didn't move much. I fished from 8:15 until 2:45 and caught three fish, all rainbows from 13" to 21" long. The three fish that I caught were the only hits I had the entire day. I did not get my first fish until 1:00 so I should have stayed in bed a little longer.[Wink]

The water temperature was 39-41 degrees and you could see about 4' in the water. The reservoir is 95% full and rising. I did not see many fish on the sonar and only saw a couple rise during the day.

It was a beautiful day with temps in the 50's and no wind.
[signature]
At least it was not a skunk, thanks for the report.
[signature]
I eyeballed the camera from home to check the ice conditions, spied a chilly guy in a tube, I wondered who was Mr. brave was daring the ice to squish him into the rocks.
Figured it had to be you. Glad you at least avoided the skunk.

Think I will wait a bit for my turn unless I go stand on the bank
[signature]
Hey 1sthound there is a lot more open water today and I would guess in a couple more days it should be pretty much gone. The reservoir is only about a foot from being full. You better get your boat ready to hit the pond.

We're going to give Millsite a try tomorrow and let HN warm up a little.
[signature]
I thought I'd let you know that the ice is gone from HN. It was cleared off by yesterdays winds.

I went out on the tube from 3:00 until 5:00 and barely escaped the skunk. I picked up one, twenty inch brown as I was coming toward the boat ramp to leave. It was the only hit I had in the two hours of fishing. I used the same tackle as last Wednesday, #4 sinking line and a size 6 bead head tan/green/pearl soft hackle fly. The water has already warmed up to 41-45 degrees and the reservoir is 97% full.

It is really slow fishing right now but who can complain when the weather is so nice.[Wink]
[signature]
Thank you for the intel on H.N. gofish, I wondered if you tried where all the coots are diving for food near the dam? Figured they may be pulling up some tasty fish treats as they yank up some vegetation and knock them loose.

With my luck though one of the buggers would get tangled in my line. on the other hand tugs is tugs
[signature]