Fishing Forum

Full Version: Kokanee Salmon
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Gang, I'm new to Idaho and was hoping to do some Kokanee Salmon fishing in the next couple weeks. I was hoping for a point in the right direction here, I was wondering if I should hit Lucky Peak or Anderson Ranch Res? I am from Kimberly (twin falls ) area. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
[signature]
Anderson Ranch would be my suggestion. It has an abundance of Kokanee with a daily limit of 25 fish. The F&G has in the past few years been stocking Chinook. Anderson Ranch would also be the closest for you. I live in Idaho Falls so don't get over there very often. I don't have specific info on where to fish and how deep to fish. Maybe a local will offer this information.
[signature]
As far as I know the kokes in AnRanch are very small and the bite is off. Sounds like Ririe has a lot better chance of producing fish.
[signature]
I got further confirmation today that koke fishing at anderson is not very good right now. I guess it could turn on at any time, but for now, all reports I'm hearing are poor with the exception of Ririe.
[signature]
A friend had a real good day at Ririe this week .
[signature]
Nice batch. Guess I'll have to go try it tomorrow.
[signature]
Nice! So jealous.
[signature]
Thanks guys![reply][/reply]
[signature]
We spent a day trolling Andersen ranch thos week we caught 8 kokes tje lagest of whoch was 8 inches long and about 2 thumb widths wide. Of the 8 other boats out there that we talked to we did the best. One guy had been there 3 days and had only caught 1 koke bigger than 8 inches. Mext year should be good but this year there looks grim
[signature]
It's looking like Anderson Ranch had a catastrophic die off of the 3 year class of Kokes. Probably a virus or bacterial infection that attacked them as planted fingerlings. Sadly it happens more often then we realize. Some lakes have low oxygen years that cause die off's of a year class as well.
[signature]