Fishing Forum

Full Version: Monster Lingcod fishing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Catching some Monster Lingcod With the Family using 16 Oz Jigs and a Gibbs Delta double Glow Tail with a piece of salmon for bait. Depth range from 150 to 250 feet of water. Gear was the Penn Warrior reel with 60 pound braid on a Rapala Halibut rod. Biggest ling was 50 inches long and had one massive head on it. Stick around to the end of the video if you want to see the giant!

https://youtu.be/YoCzspU4Gtg
[signature]
Any idea how much that last one weighted, monster fish for sure. Thanks for sharing your video with us and posting a little detail about what gear you were using. I guess it's too deep for an anchor, is that why you say you were fishing in water that was 150 to 250 deep, because you would start off in deeper water and drift into water that was a little more shallow? Sure is great that your wife likes to come along, on some of your trips and bring the kids.
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]Any idea how much that last one weighted, monster fish for sure. Thanks for sharing your video with us and posting a little detail about what gear you were using. I guess it's too deep for an anchor, is that why you say you were fishing in water that was 150 to 250 deep, because you would start off in deeper water and drift into water that was a little more shallow? Sure is great that your wife likes to come along, on some of your trips and bring the kids.[/quote]

We are fishing small pieces of structure. Pinacles that will rise from 400 - 500 feet and top out at about 150. You can anchor but I find drifting works well to cover the structure and find active fish. What I'll do is drive to the top of the structure and then drift off. You always want to drift from shallow to deeper otherwise you get snagged really bad going from deep to shallow on these pinnacles. Usually the fish hit as you drop the lure anyways, so as you drift off the structure you jut keep letting out line. Jig a couple and drop to bottom again. Works well. When I get out to 300 feet I crank up and repeat.

The first one was probably around 20, Second one around 40 and the last one probably in between 50 and 60 pounds.

Yeah she likes when its calm. Her and the oldest daught get sea sick when it is rolly out there which is not fun at all.

The kids love it. The oldest at 5 years old is getting pretty good at cranking the fish up. Of course this one was heavier than her and she needed a little help.

Thanks for watching.
[signature]