Fishing Forum

Full Version: Strawberry what is the best hook to use?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I made this Video its under water using a water wolf camera,
and a lure that I made out of a mold.
over the years watching video we miss a lot of fish. On this set up I'm only using one hook a size 1/0 Octopus hook. most of the time I use a number 2 hook
this fall at strawberry has not been that good for me, last year I had 6 days that i got over 50 fish in one day.
This year I have not had a day over 50 fish. most days were around 20 fish the most was 45.

I don't like Treble hooks because I don't keep any fish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO7fRD8y...e=youtu.be
[signature]
Thanks for sharing!
[signature]
You know, I am thinking that the camera teaches us a lesson. Without it you would think that there just were no fish that were interested, but in reality, lots of fish, just no hook-ups.

Larry Dahlberg of "Hunt for Big Fish" fishing show says that lures or bait have two qualities, attracting and triggering. On your day, the attracting was there, but the triggering was not. It actually looked like sometimes they took it and just pushed it forward.

Sometimes a change of bait to a different offering will help, sometimes a change of color. I have used Spike-It dies to change the color of the worms just a little and watched it help. Sometimes a little different scent can help as well. I don't count on scent, and consider it low on my list of things that make a difference, but if all else is right and you don't get hook ups, it can tip the scales in your favor.

Now, for your question, hooks.

1) I buy hooks then test every one I put on for sharpness. If I cannot just drag it on my fingernail and it digs in, then I sharpen it. I test before I start, I test between every fish, I test just because. I usually buy one to two sharpeners a year. I want that hook so sharp that it will dig into anything that breathes on it.

2) Not all hooks are the same. I use circle hooks if I know they are taking the bait and turning to move off. I use j hooks if I am setting the hook myself. Downrigging is tough because you count on the fish hooking itself but often they don't take it and turn off so circle hooks don't work.

For your problem, I suggest the hook I actually don't like, but it works. The True-Turn hook is bulky and will cause a lure to spin, but the Brad's Cut Plugs do that anyway. I suggest that you get some True-Turn hooks, sharpen them well, and try that. They cam or twist when the fish grabs the bait, often driving it right into the jaw.

Hope this helps some, it has got to be difficult to watch how close you came.

PS, treble hooks are not that bad if you remove the barbs. Studies have shown now difference on survival rates between single and treble hooks done that way.
Thanks for your Ideas, I don't sharpen my hooks and I need to start
[signature]
During the height of the season, my thumbnails look like they were the target at a gun range. LOL

Still, it is worth it to me.
Back in the day when I used to steam fish with a Spinning outfit and Rapalas I found that sharping the hooks on the Rapala made a HUGE difference.
[signature]