Fishing Forum

Full Version: Starvation - I have an idea where the name came from.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A buddy and I fished Starvation today in Rabbit Gulch. We launched our tubes about 10:00 and fished until 2:30 using medium (#3) and fast sinking (#8) lines and a size 8 bead head maroon bunny leech, and a size 6 [#0000ff]TubeDude[/#0000ff] Green Meanie hot head. We caught a grand total of two fish, one 18" rainbow and one 19" rainbow, and we had four other fish on and that was it. There were no other fishermen in the gulch while we were there.

We just could not find where the fish were hanging out.

The water temperature was 44-45 degrees and the visibility in the water of about 6'.

The reservoir level is at 85% full and rising. The water level looks good for this time of year.

It was a nice day to be on the water, just wish the catching would have been a little better.[:/]
[signature]
I suspect that you were fishing under them. With the cooler waters, trout tend to work much shallower then people think.
[quote Anglinarcher]I suspect that you were fishing under them. With the cooler waters, trout tend to work much shallower then people think.[/quote]

Thanks for the tip.

You are probably right for the rainbows but we were looking for some walleye and browns too. We saw a few large fish near the bottom in 15' - 30' of water so that was why we tried the #8 line.
[signature]
For me, it is different every year. I try not to assume fish will be active and shallow just based on water temps. Interestingly enough, ive seen bows hitting flies on the surface in mid dog days at deer creek when water temps are in the 70s. Also i think the turnover period has a big effect on trout activity. I prefer post turnover myself.
[signature]