Fishing Forum

Full Version: Cutler Mixed Bag
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After work tonight I grabbed the fly rod and my ultra light jigging stick and went looking for fishies. Found a spot where it looked like good thick cover so I cast the jigs a bit with no luck. Grabbed my 3WT and started flicking it out there. Didn't take long and I nailed a 10-11" ish crappie. While later I got another. Then it died for awhile till I seen a swirl near the cover and casted to it and it was game on gills. Finished with 9 gills and 2 crappie. All still swimming in Cutler. Little slower than last time but still fun. Later J
[signature]
That’s awesome. I’m just getting into fly fishing as well and hope to land my first soon. People like you give me inspiration.
[signature]
I’m glad you’re getting into fly fishing it’s a lot of fun. Hard to beat the Unitas to learn to fly fish. Lots of action so you can correct any mistakes you might make. I think you might get in trouble if you get inspiration from me. I’d lead ya astray and get ya in trouble for being addicted to fishing. It’s a fun hobby but I probably take it to far, but glad you enjoy it. Later J
[signature]
Thats awesome! thanks for sharing. Were you finding the fish in slow waters or where its got some current is? The only thing i can manage catch in cutler is the occasional catfish or carp.
[signature]
Hahaha you really like that water don't u
[signature]
Crappie!!!!! Might have to come out to your neck of the wood and get some dinner.
Of course I'll be bringing a cat rod along. never know might catch a cutler hug.
look like fun Jeff
[signature]
It's my home pond less than 5 minutes from the house so when I only have a few minutes it's where I go... And most of the time I only have a few minutes so I fish it a lot more than other spots... Not so much that it's great, but it's close and easy and after enough time you start to find spots that fish sometimes... Luckily it's big enough it takes a long time to explore and conditions change so fast that its almost always a new pond each time.. Hard to find a honey hole and have it stay that way... Especially with pressure, this area doesn't have a large number of fish so it can be fished out fast and pressure really effects it... I guess the shallow water is not a good fish raising area, but the few that survive can be fun when you find them.... Really think Fish and Game need to reduce the limit and put a lower slot on the fish so we can keep some around... Later J
[signature]
I remember what happened last time you came out, you went and caught my big one I'd been raising all summer... Haven't tried the cats yet, but years past has taught me I'm not a good enough catter to catch them this early... But seeing you know the trick for early cats, you may make me rethink that... Crappie are pretty thin out here, haven't ever caught more than a couple a day, they are more of a luck into them fish. This year most that I have caught are 6-7" so they need some growing time... Anyway I'm hoping things warm up soon so the cats will start to get active before I have to start farming... but I think the two seem to go together.. Catch ya later J
[signature]
Nothing funner than bluegills on a three weight. If the legislature finds out, they'll slap a sin tax on it.
[signature]
well I took the grandsons to Benson Saturday. they caught a few mudcats. I had no luck tried fly and jig under the bridge, and had a cat rod out with a chunk of carp meat not even a nibble. but did get a baby channel cat to save me from a skunk
[signature]
That's for sure, I think I'll try Mantua this spring since I figured out how to catch a few, I'd love to try it where there are some big ones... Take the toon over there and have a good ole time... I'm really thinking I'm going to follow you to Willard and try those cats and wiper on a fly, that sounds too fun... Probably have to upgrade to the 6 or 8 WT though... If I could just find them I'm pretty sure I can get them to bite, but that pond is so big and has so much area without any fish, I'm sure locating them is tough... But it does sound like a lot of fun... Thanks Larry... Later J
[signature]
Man that's a cute tiny little guy, he needs some fattening up before I catch him next time...

Did you let the fly sink and strip it in under the surface? On the days they won't take top water, I fish my fly like a wetfly and they seem to like it... If you don' t see any surface action at all, no swirls or ripples showing fish are there, I move on to other locations, no active fish around... When you find the gills they will be making waves or ripples at least so you can tell the fish are there... If not there may be fish there, but usually not as many and probably not actively feeding... The crappie don't give a lot of surface indication, but then again I usually just find one or two at a time with them...

Just east of the bridge where those trees are along the road, may be a good spot with the branches that droop into the water there... I've caught them there in the past, but haven't tried it this spring yet... Sorry you didn't find much, but I think you caught more on the catfish front than anyone else I've heard of so far this year... Trying to decide if I can go this weekend or not... I'd sure like to get one more ice trip in before it's over, but it's a long drive down south... We'll see what happens... Later J
[signature]
Did I see you later that day? I caught a bass off the rocks on the north east side. I was wearin a camo hat.
[signature]