Fishing Forum

Full Version: Bird Island from Lincoln Beach
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a 14' aluminum boat with a 9.9 hp Mercury. I'm guessing that it is not a good, safe rig to go out to Bird Island. What would be? How far from shore is safe around Lincoln Beach? Are there any general guidelines for safe boats on the lake?
[signature]
There are folks that venture out that far and is totally safe if you know when to get the heck out of there. nice calm days a slight south breeze your good to go. just know even if the fishing is good if the wind is coming up get off the lake. 3-4 foot rollers are not uncommon on that lake and it changes rather quickly do to how shallow it is.

Depending on the wind that area is probably is the best area for the least amount of wave action.

How long have you been boating/
[signature]
I’ve got 15 foot aluminum boat with 20 hp on it (but right now I’m only getting 15 hp from an accident with the finger that sticks out at bird island). But it’s plenty if you respect the winds as stated previously. I won’t go there if they going to be near 10 mph. Things change way to fast. You’ll also want to get a drawing of the island so your somewhat familiar with the layout as rocks can sneak up even on the veteran boater. Your more than welcome to go out with me sometime if you would like. I don’t have anything fancy but I can show you around it. Just pm me if your interested in that offer. In fact I have a pic I got from some where I can’t remember so I can’t give credit but I have attached it to give you a idea on the obstacles that are there plus many that can’t be seen. Anyway good luck and let me know if your interested.
[signature]
I haven't even put the boat on the water yet. But two things I respect hugely on Utah Lake: the wind and the rocks at Bird Island. Mooseman, I'll contact you soon about going out together-appreciate the offer. How long would you say it would take to run in from the island to Lincoln?
[signature]
[#0000FF]Distance...according to Google Earth...is about 2.3 miles.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Just over 2 miles to the island from Lincoln good rule to live by out there if you feel the wind coming from the North don't wait around get off asap! I used to do it with my 14 just don't let your guard down and don't wait to see what it does!!
[signature]
I have a 14' Lund with a 15HP merc. I go there almost any time I get down to UL. But as others have said, and it can't be stressed enough, winds change quickly. Always have your life jacket on, keep one eye on the wind, and if it comes from the north, north-east, or the west, get back to the marina. Winds from the north or north east will be mostly at your back while heading back to LB. But winds from due west or due east will put the waves broadside to your boat and that isn't good when they get blowing strong. The run from LB to BI is as TD said 2.3 miles thats from the mouth of the LB channel straight north east to the west side of the island.
Until you are able to mark out a safe depth on your GPS, once you get close to the island, move slow, keep an eye on your sonar, and be VERY wary on the south east side. But as others have said, keeping all that in mind, the catfish catching can be almost non stop out around the island. Good luck, stay safe. [fishon]
[signature]
I've made it out there and back in a 9' inflatable boat with a trolling motor. Probably wouldn't suggest doing something that dumb though. It took quite a while and I nearly drained the battery by the time I made it back.
[signature]
If you don't have GPS on your fish finder. I use this app all the time when navigating.

It's not perfect but it let you know your on the right path and where to avoid. I have used it all over the place and like it.

https://webapp.navionics.com/#boating@6&key=gpcxFjogjT

Samples of bird Island area in sonar chart mode.
[signature]
In the general area of the anchor, on your map, is where I have found the deepest water around Bird Island.
[signature]
Anybody else notice that Bird Island looks like a horseshoe crab?
[signature]
Looks like a hummingbird’s head to me... with a killer beak.
[signature]
Hey BLK I'll bet you are getting Saddle sore waiting to get out after them cats... Dang crazy weather sure makes it tough to get any good cattin in.... Now I'm getting nervous, my window to fish is quickly coming to a close with the farm season on tap... Always hate that point when the fishing finally gets good and I have to do something else... bummer, but I guess I chose that as a second job.... Well hope you get some time in on the lake soon... Later J
[signature]
Jeff- Maybe you should have started the cat contest last February when we had good weather. Seems like it is getting colder rather than warmer. Just biding my time here... it will come.

Thirty pluser by May 1st for sure.

BLK
[signature]
Thirty pluser before April 30 for sure.
[signature]
I always thought the name Bird Island was because of the fact that it looks like bird head on the map...does anyone know the history of the name of that island?
[signature]
I agree it's a strange year. Think you're right we will see some 30's by May unless the weather keeps this up. Don't think anyone has broke 30 yet but it's close. Think I've lost two now that could of been that big. One of these times I'll quit screwing up and catch one of those solid bites. Well good luck lets gettem this weekend. Later J
[signature]
[#0000FF]Anyone who has ever visited bird island understands why it is called BIRD Island. It is a roosting site for millions and millions of birds...of many species. Very noisy and smelly. Not a place you would want to set up a camp.

In early times it was a popular spot for the tour boats on Utah Lake to stop by and let the passengers walk around. See attached pics.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
How much "island" is there with the water this high?
[signature]
[#0000FF]During extreme high water years (last one in 1980s) the island disappears. During moderate years there is seldom more than 3 to 4 feet of island above water.

That picture was taken in the early 1900s...before there were regulatory gates put on the Jordan River outflow. That allowed the lake to drop lower and the island was always above water...sometimes high enough to grow trees...as in the pic.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]