Fishing Forum

Full Version: Cutler catfishing...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I spent sautrday night out to Cutler with my two brothers. Launched the boat in cache junction, fished the shallow waters but didn't have much luck. We only got one, it was a 14 ish inch kitty. Hopefully a little more catching next time.
[signature]
What were you fishing with for bait and how was you fishing it? Most of the time, its location related, but sometimes tweaking the bait or method can make a difference for me... Other thing can be one day off when the fish will be there... I'm seeing an every other day thing where one day is good the next will be really slow... Time of day has been key for me too... I'm liking the last hour of sunlight for my best results... But then I'm not around in the morning to try it, so who knows maybe I'm missing it then... Hope something in here will help... Good luck.. J
[signature]
Oh cool, thanks for the tips. we were using sucker and salmon chunks from dusk till about 11pm. We tried a few different spots but had the same results...
[signature]
I've had the best luck with cut bait, the fresher the better, bigger the bait bigger the fish right?
[signature]
How big is big?
[signature]
[quote kyLURE]Oh cool, thanks for the tips. we were using sucker and salmon chunks from dusk till about 11pm. We tried a few different spots but had the same results...[/quote]

Oooh - Salmon. I'm-a come fishing with you.
But you better guard your bait!
[quote catchinon]How big is big?[/quote]

That's what she said! (couldn't resist)

Cats have big mouths. Consider a decent cat - say 25 inches - can wolf down a good sized mud-cat. . . but maybe image a 3-5" carp minnow. . .

Garlic scent is always a good additive, I've found.
as big as you can fit on your hook. I use a 5/0 hook so it will take a nice chunk of bait.
[signature]
Your sucker should be great!!! I'd be careful with salmon, not sure it's legal.... I second the note of fresher the better with the cut bait... My stuff from the freezer never produces as well as the fresh bloody stuff caught on the same trip... But that usually means you have to fish one rod for carp at first, or sometimes they just won't bite, so you lose one of your cat options while your looking for bait... So I go with the frozen and take the reduced yields... Sorry I'm so slow getting back to you, I'm way buried this week, so I'm not getting the mail answered very well... Later J
[signature]
Yote,
You still out there??? Long time no see or hear.... You still own a fishing pole? You better get signed up for team north and help us catch the kitties... Been fun so far this year... Hope to see ya back on the pond... Later Jeff
[signature]
Jeff-- My thoughts too. Coyote has been missed in the recent past. I was afraid he had given up fishin' for golf or poker or baseball or a more opulent lifestyle of some sort... maybe even moved out of our great state... or maybe overcome by dedication to work.
Anyway, good to have him back among us.

BLK
[signature]
Yup we don't see much of Yote these days, we owe a bunch to the founder of the catfish contest, this has been a fun annual event for us... Would be good to see him return to his roots... Later Jeff
[signature]
BLK and Jeff...He is alive and well. I've slowly been trying to get him back into our favorite hobby and drown a few worms with me.

Sooner or later he will cave and go back to his roots. He's been a little.....distracted.

Smile
[signature]
I double checked the regs prior to using salmon. It says all salt water species are legal to use as bait where bait is legal.... correct me if im wrong though. I'm a follow the rules kinda guy.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Salt water salmon. Legal. Kokanee salmon from fresh water...not legal.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]There are a lot of salt water fish available in various seafood markets that are reasonably priced but make very good bait. Examples are sardines, anchovies, smelt, mackerel, etc.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Anytime you have salt water fish in the freezer beyond the time where they would be tasty and safe to eat you can serve them up to catfish. They usually accept your "leftovers" with gusto.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Ditto goes for game meat and waterfowl that have past their prime...or which have been left out to thaw "too long". Don't toss it in the trash...cut it up, put it on a hook and toss it out to the catfish. Just don't let them hold you up for catsup or other condiments.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Ahhh the return of the Jedi....Cool, I'm glad you're getting him out and hope he can find time to get back into fishing... Was fun to visit and fish with Yote... He sure gave me a warm welcome to BFT when I was a newby...

Derek, you getting any cat time in? Be fun if we can find a time to go tease a few... Water was 72 degrees last night in the shallows... Sort of slow night most were small, but did get one that was fun... Later J
[signature]
Sorry, looks like I was out of bounds there... Thought salmon was too close to a game fish, so I wouldn't have dared try that, but sounds like it is legal... Guess I'm a carp, sucker kind of guy.... when it comes to bait, but that's what I have access too...

Which brings me to a question I've been wanting to ask and see if anyone can answer... When I was young we used to always catch chubs up Logan canyon and Blacksmith fork on the rivers, I don't fish the rivers much anymore but I haven't caught a chub in like 35 years... are they still there? Reason for asking of course is wanting to try to find a local spot where I could go find some minnows... Anyone know of small stream slow moving where there are still chubs? I've found spots in the winds where the chub minnows are wildly active on the surface and you can catch a ton with a small fly... would be fun to find a spot like that around here... Thanks was just curious... Later J
[signature]
Jeff, Derek, sure would be nice to see and hear Yote again. Either of you guys been by Benson Marina lately? I know I've asked this before, but just checking on the docks at the ramp. Soon as the dock is out, I gonna head up that way. I promised Derek I'd give him a holler when I did.[shocked] [fishon]
[signature]
Hey Tin-Can, -hopefully soon they get those docks out. Not sure what the holdup is- last time I was there they hadn't put them out yet.

Jeff I haven't been out a whole lot, my job keeps me busier than I want to be working 6 days/week. I keep thinking one day when I'm retired I can go out whenever I want and it will sure be nice!
[signature]
Forest, I checked last night and they still haven't done anything. I'd think they will do it soon because the high runoff isn't coming this year so they just as well get them in place. The more they do to improve that launch the worse it gets. They are forcing you to use the cement ramp so you have that huge drop off the end that tears your axel off the trailers and then that pile of rocks behind that, that eats your prop. They should have left it so you could launch off the gravel to the south side of the ramp. But they know better. Anyway when you launch kick the back end of your trailer off the north side of the ramp so you don't have to deal with that burm of gravel directly west of the ramp. I think those ski boats that power onto their trailers washed all the gravel that filled the drop off into that burm. It's pretty rough on my props so be careful. Fishing was slow last night but I did get another 28" fish. Mudcats came in and kept stealing all my bait after that. Later J
[signature]
Pages: 1 2