Fishing Forum

Full Version: Chub/Sucker Meat?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Going to Fish Lake soon and I need some sort of cut bait, besides perch meat! Does anybody know of a place where I could buy chub/sucker meat? or of a good place to catch clubs/suckers? I used to be able to buy them at Angler's , but.. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!Thanks
midge
I'd try a couple of treble hooks on the lower cottonwood below 500 w. or on the Mill creek around Main street. Just look for the suckers, let them swim over and WHACK!
[signature]
I forgot a quick place. Over off of 7th east(I hope) there is that restarunt that went out of business by the cottonwood. Id go there just below the bridge next to the soutwest of the resarunt and look for suckers. I forgot I used to snag them right there.
[signature]
If you really need chubs and sucker meat, and don't want to have to try and catch your own, slip into Sportsmans Warehouse. They've got that kind of stuff there. Most of the chubs are minnow size but they do have some slabs of sucker meat and a chub minnow on a buzz bomb or a big jig is the ticket for macks any where.

Good luck!!
[signature]
Thanks for the input! I have personally found that chub/sucker meat outproduces perch meat when targeting the Macs at Fish Lake. I believe it has something to do with their natural forge but most importantly the chub/sucker meat is a little more oiler/produces more scent. Has anyone else experienced this or should I just suck it up and use perch meat?

midge
If you're specifically targetting macks, suckers and chubs are the only way to go. I talked to the Southern Region Bio. a few weeks ago and he was saying what we all already suspected. Macks eat very few, if any perch. He says that since the introduction of perch and the subsequent decline of the chubs in Fish Lake that the macks are in trouble. The pups are starving and not surviving long enough to make it to adulthood. The larger fish in the lake are foraging almost exclusively on stocked trout. I don't usually put too much stock in what DWR says about anything after seeing some of their major screwups with fisheries especially in So. Utah, but this time I have to agree with them. We used to catch several, if not lots of pups every trip, even when we weren't fishing for them. It has been quite a while since I caught one and that was even when we went after macks.

Get some sucker meat and chubs somewhere. You'll be glad you did. Like I said, we got it at Sportsmans the last time we went to the gorge.
[signature]