Fishing Forum

Full Version: Flaming Gorge - 1/19/2018 Beautiful Day
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Where: Flaming Gorge
Just off of the point from FR 008 (near Buckboard)
When: 01-19-2019 8:00 AM - 2:00 PM
It was a man weekend. We drove to Rock Springs on Friday night, stayed in hotel, and got up early on Saturday morning and drove down.

Fish Caught: 2 total - Lake trout. One 21" and one 23". We kept them both.

We had a total of 8 on the line, but lost at least 5 at the hole. Now I am rethinking my use of a 6" NILS auger. One other got away before we could get it to the edge. We fished in 30-40 FOW and every fish we got came off the bottom. We did mark ~20-25 fish but they were pretty picky.

Baits/Lures: white tube jigs on a green jig head seemed to be the ticket.

Ice Condition: Solid Ice (7-10"). Little or no slush

Weather: Mixed between cloudy and beautiful and sunny, ~20F - 35F, with almost no wind. Amazing day!

Lots of company on the ice, but that reservoir is so big that it is not noticeable. It was my first time fishing the Gorge. I learned a lot of lessons and look forward to a return. For me it will likely be a once per season trip becasue of the long distance!
[signature]
Nice report and good fish. Congrats. I smoked up my macs and they are some of the best fish I’ve had this year. Later J
[signature]
I was just north of you we did ok 4 pups and 23 burbot all were found ib 25 feet about 150 yards off shore the ice was 8+ a few sleds went by but stayed close to shore temp was about the best you could have for ice fishing . I will be there for tge next 2 days and will post at the end of each night.
[signature]
Nice! Would have loved to catch a few Burbot. Did you fish specifically for them?
[signature]
What time did you catch the burbot? I thought that they were strictly night fish. We're trying to plan our first one-day trip there and would like to catch both lakers and burbot at the same time. How should we plan?
[signature]
I've accidentally caught burbot in broad daylight.
[signature]
Great Post! How much snow is there? We’re headed for the bash on Friday
[signature]
Snow depth ranged from 1-6 inches on the ice. Road 008 was passable in 2 WD, but you need a 4 WD to get close to the reservoir.

Good luck!
[signature]
Thank you for taking the time to share that!
[signature]
Just curious, how will you change how you use your ice auger?
[signature]
I'm guessing he will use an 8 or 10 inch auger for the size of fish that are getting away. I have a Nils in 4-1/2 inch and 6 inch and 8 inch. The smallest works fine for the fish finder transducer and another hole a few feet away for the camera. I have the other two for when fish are larger.
[signature]
I had an ice-fishing trip up there when we had to move during the middle of the day to get away from the burbot. We were catching them one right after another, but we were targeting macks so we moved.
[signature]
Gotcha.
I use a 4" auger and in that situation I would just drill two touching holes next to each other.
[signature]
I was going after the burbot my kids were after any thing that would bite on sunday we went to lost dog. The main lost dog road is only passable with chains or atv. No one made it more the 500 yards off the pavement. Tried road 11 lots of drifts but not bad the last hill to the lake was slick. Next time i go chains are a must. The ice was grate 12+ with 2 to 3 inches of snow on top. Fishing was slow at first but picked up around 6ish left around 8 due to hungry kids there was a few groups south of us still fishing as we left it was a nice night to be out.
[signature]