Fishing Forum

Full Version: IF YOU FALL IN....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
SO I WAS WONDERING, IF THE ICE GIVES OUT UNDER YOU, WHAT IS THE BEST BET FOR SURVIVAL? ANOTHER THREAD GOT THIS PROCESS TURINING IN MY HEAD, WHAT ARE THE EXACT PROCEDURES SAY IF YOU FALL IN, NOONE CAN REACH YOU WHAT ARE THE SELF PRESERVATION METHODS? BESIDES FREEZING LIKE A SUMMER TROUT IN THE COOLER. ARE THERE CLASSES, WEBSITE, ANYINFO OUTSIDE OF TAKING A EMT COURSE? THIS SEEMS TO BE ONE THING I FOR ONE WOULD WANT TO KNOW ANYTIME I WAS ICE FISHING, ESPECIALLY LATER IN THE YEAR WHEN THE SURFACE STARTS TO LOOK LIKE A GOLF BALL FROM ALL THE HOLES PUNCHED IN IT. I JUST WAS WONDERING HOW MANY OF YOU HARD WATER THRASHERS HAVE KNOWLEDGE OF THIS STUFF......I MEAN YOU COULD SAVE YOURSELF NOT TO MENTION A FELLOW ANGLER IN A BIT OF A BIND.
[signature]
Here is a link on our ice fishing board. It not only deals with tackle tips but safety tipes as well. I hope it is of help to you.

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=7799;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;"]Ice fishing tips[/url]
[signature]
Let me tell you something I learned 1st hand, there is not much you can do. Those little ice pick things? if they are in your bucket they are useless, if they are in your hands they are some help but not much. Most of us wear several layers of clothing and heavy boots, saturate them with water and they weigh about 60 lbs, think you can scramble onto a slippery surgace with a 60 lb anchor on? I doubt it.

First, when in doubt find something else to do.

If you must go out on the ice when conditions are iffy, trail a 50' rope behind you so that someone close by can grab it and pull you to safty, next wear a PFD. This will keep you floating until help can come.

Last thing I can suggest is to bring along a tube, tie the rope to it and the other end around you.

As far as all the holes in the ice don't worry about them weakening the overall ice.
[signature]
Good advice Troll. Now I'm getting worried.
[signature]
I have also read on anouther board to wear a pfd even on the ice, it is the safest thing to do. Also be in relatively good shape so you can help yourself. Keep and extra set of cloths and a heater of some kind. Once a person has gotten out of the water treat it as a cold emergency and warm them up by a heater, but not too fast, or put them in a sleeping bag of some type with a warm body or two. First you need to remove all their wet cloths.
[signature]
one more thought, a fish is not worth your life, if the ice is iffy find something better to do. To die while fishing would ruin a perfectly good day.
[signature]
Thats my first thought also, if it's iffy, find something else to do. Ice fishing is a gift from above to help us maintain our sanity over the long cold winter, when it ends it is a signal of blessings to come in the open water, use this time to prepare for it's coming. Tying flies, modifying and repairing boats and other fishing related things.
[signature]
My last trip to Bountiful Pond I thought for sure i was going to get dunked. There was a layer of ice only 1" thick on top of 5" of water, and then 7" of ice. The first time I went through that thin top layer, i thought i was sunk. Luckily there was that second layer, but it sure scared the daylights out of me.
I grew up ice fishing in upstate NY and didn't encounter this until I moved to utah. It is due to the raising levels of the resiviors(sp) we have here vs. the constant levels of natural lakes.

As long as there is 7" of clear under neath I would think it was safe but I my self would have gotten 15' and turned around.there are to many good places to fish on better ice. Rockport, Jordenelle, Echo, East, just to name a few.
[signature]
Moby Dick, I love that picture( the Torino's beautiful too).
[signature]
oh there's a car in that picture haha
[signature]
lol, I love my torino
GLAD TO HEAR ALL OF YOU DOING THIS SAFETY STUFF ON THE ICE. I SEE TOO MANY PEOPLE THAT LOOK LIKE THEY JUST DONT ACKNOLEGE THE FACT THEIR LIVES ARE AT STAKE. AND I SURE DONT WANT TO HEAR A 10 O'CLOCK NEWS FLASH ABOUT ANYONE FROM THIS BOARD SLIPPING INTO A COLD DEATH. THANKS FOR THE TIPS. ILL USE EM WHEN I DECIDE TO BRAVE THE ICE.

LATERS,
[signature]
I had a friend go in at fish lake one year. and the ice was giving way under my feet, that was the scariest trip. luckily there was a second layer of ice about two feet down and we were able to get him out. also had a scare one other time at a small lake(don't remember the name of it) we went out on the ice and then it started cracking under our feet.
[signature]