Fishing Forum

Full Version: Interesting Read
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
That is interesting.
The article said:

"They will be using it [rotenone] in extremely low quantities, ensuring it will be especially harmless to all but the brook trout."

Can anybody explain that? Doesn't rotenone kill every fish in a treated water? According to one website, "Rotenone is used as a pesticide, insecticide, and as a nonselective piscicide (fish killer)."
[signature]
They’re talking about it being nontoxic to other animals (besides fish) and plants. Just not very precise language in the article. Unfortunately some of those streams are mostly stunted brookies. Ruined a lot of good fishing. I’ve never understood why there isn’t a mandatory kill if you catch a brookie in an Uinta Stream. At the very least there should be no limit on them not just a bonus 4 with brookies. It isn’t hard to catch hundreds of those rodents a day. I would have taken thousands of them out for free knowing the fishery would benefit greatly. This is a start but they need to let fishermen help keep brookies under control on other streams. Brookies in the Unitas has been far more damaging than the Leavitt Strain of Whirling Disease.
[signature]
Interesting project. I love backpacking in the Uintahs and those little side streams pack loads of brookies early in the spring. Kids can catch hundreds of 6-10" fish in a day with nothing but a worm/hook under a bobber. If it works it would be nice to catch Cutts instead of brookies in some stream systems up there.

I have to say I'm a bit skeptical of their ability to purge brookies out of any given High Uintah stream system. Any stream / river of any size up there has so many smaller side streams feeding into it I find it hard to believe they could treat one system, much less 4, 100%. Only takes a couple surviving minnows to start the whole population again. One side stream just 20 yards long, of which there are a dozen per mile of river up there, could easily be a refuge for hundreds of minnows.
[signature]