Fishing Forum

Full Version: Echo 2-21-04
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Went to Echo today with my friend and his kids. There must have been some spill over from the perch party because there were quite a few people there. Fished from 11 till 5. Fishing was slow for us until we finally found a good spot after drilling a bunch of holes and moving several times. Caught 60-70 perch mostly small and 1 decent rainbow. The highlight (or lowlight) of the day was when I hooked into something big and when I saw the gold color through the hole I thought I had finally caught a big Brown or the world record Perch but to my surprise and disappointment it was a 4-5 lb Carp! Overall it was a nice day out on the ice.

FM
[signature]
Why would the 4-5lb carp be a dissappointment. He gave you a good fight dinn't he? I have never eaten one but I have read and heard they were good eating.
[signature]
Well yes it was fun to catch. I was just hoping for the big Brown that I know is waiting for me up there. I don't have anything against Carp in general I've even fished for them on occasion but I've never eaten one. Has anyone else on here eaten one?

FM
[signature]
I too have fished for them in the past. They put up quite the fight, but I wouldn't eat one if you paid me! Nasty bottom sucking trash fish!
[signature]
That sure would have been fun. I doubt I could have landed the thing with my perch rod (Blue Lightning). As for eating, I have, but only overseas and I did not catch it or cook it. I Would have fillet it right up as bait and cured some up for bait fot later in the year.
[signature]
I didn't even think about that. I'll have to remember that next time I catch one.

My favorite ice rod is graphite with enough give to make it fun for Perch but with enough backbone to bring up larger trout (or Carp!). I also like fishing with my "Perch Noodle" and have even caught trout on it (very fun) but most of the time I like the stiffer graphite so I can feel the bites rather than just watching the tip of the rod.

FM
[signature]