Fishing Forum

Full Version: flaming gorge 5/15-19
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Fritzfishin

went to the gorge for the first time this season, the koke fishing was HOT!! doubles happened often and we got a couple triples, ended up catching about 75 kokes in the couple days we were there along with a hand full of rainbows nice big healthy ones along the shore throwing 3" predator color maniac minnows and a couple looked like cuttbows, we even landed a few pups from shore, the burbot were picky and only lost a few none wanted to be eaten, and it seems the smallies are moved out, for the kokes we were 35 feet back 30-40 feet down on the down riggers with a smaller dodger and pink micro squids or the kokanee killer flat fish looking lure, same thing on the leaded line rods running 6 colors out, 1.7 mph seemed to be the magic speed hope this helps! also some big kokes 2.5-3lbs from anvil trolling to the rock wall by the pipeline. on to catfish season!
[signature]
No disrespect to anyone, but do you people realize playing "catch & release" with the kokanee is the same as killing them and just throwing them back into the water. It's very stressful on these fish. There's a very good chance a kokanee will die after being released even though it looks like a good release and the fish swims off. Try keeping your first 3 kokanee you catch then fish for a different species of fish.
[quote vetfisherman]No disrespect to anyone, but do you people realize playing "catch & release" with the kokanee is the same as killing them and just throwing them back into the water. It's very stressful on these fish. There's a very good chance a kokanee will die after being released even though it looks like a good release and the fish swims off. Try keeping your first 3 kokanee you catch then fish for a different species of fish.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Welcome to BFT vetfisherman and no disrespect intended to you either. But coming on here with your very first post to slam somebody's actions isn't going to gain you many friends on here.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]I agree that the kill ratio for catch & release kokanee is very high with the average running about 1 in 3 not surviving the practice. I don't practice catch and release on my boat and think it is an unwise decision for anybody to do so.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]However, the practice is legal and no laws were broken. And we have no idea how many people were fishing on Fritzfishin's boat or what their collective limit might be. I would suggest to you, vetfisherman, that a better approach would have been for you to have sent a PM to Fritzfishin politely pointing out the survival statistics of catch & release for kokanee and ask that he consider those statistics in his future kokanee fishing adventures.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]And based on your user name, thank you for you service.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Sir,

I was not "slamming" anyone. As I mention, I was not trying to be disrespectful. Was just trying to explains my point of view. Guess I should have been politically correct and not offend anyone which I have seem to be doing so. It's Sad when people play "catch & release" with the kokanee knowing their just going to die when released. they just don't seem to care. Actually, I'm not a new member. I haven't been on BFT for a very long time and I just though I'd start fresh with a new account. With that said, I'll delete my account with BFT for fear of offending someone.
[signature]
I am new to kokanee fishing (haven't caught one yet) and had no idea that they had such a high mortality rate. I appreciate you educating me. I do agree with dubob, though. Anytime a person uses the expression "you people" he is clearly putting himself in danger of offending someone. I have to watch it myself.

Now just because you and dubob got your hackles up doesn't mean you have to leave the barnyard. We value your input and hope you will continue to share. Just keep it friendly. [Smile][fishon]
[signature]
I hope you dont shut off your BFT. I would like to hear more from all of you.

Frankly, while maybe the conversation ruffled some feathers, it really got me thinking about what I do as a sportsman and how I have evolved over time for the better our worse. I use to snag carp for trapping bait then snag a bunch more and leavn on the bank for fun, not cause I thought I was improving the fishery. I use to throw gut hooked rainbows back, now they go on the stringer. Of course there are legal guidelines on many of these items but often we are left to our own to decide what is sporting, what is humane, and how we will act. I dont have perfect answers so wont attempt to judge or put my stamp on others, but I think, it's a worthwhile convesationto have. Thanks again for making me think about about an important subject. Wishing ya all tightlines this week.
[signature]
Thank you for clarifying "you people". I didn't mean it that way. I'm very sorry. I'm not always politically correct, therefore, I just contacted the webmaster to delete my account with BFT.
[signature]
Thanks for the report! We are headed up this week. Hopefully the weather cooperates. Did you fish on the Utah side at all or only up by Anvil and the pipeline?
[signature]
[quote vetfisherman]Sir,

I was not "slamming" anyone.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Please, if you're still here, read my post again. I did NOT say you slammed a person. You slammed the actions of anybody (you people) who - legally - catches and releases a kokanee salmon. My feathers aren't ruffled in the least. I politely suggested what I think might have been a better way to handle the issue with no disrespect intended. And from your second post, it would appear that you don't take kindly to friendly suggestions. I can live with that.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
great report ,i'm surprised the bite is so hot this early in the year .
i'm looking forward to my june trip even more now.[cool]
[signature]
welcome to the board ,thanks for the reminder on kokanee C&R . we really all need to think about it at times. looking forward to your posts [fishon]
[signature]
[quote mtncat1]looking forward to your posts [fishon][/quote][size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Too late![/#][/font][/size][quote vetfisherman]I just contacted the webmaster to delete my account with BFT.[/quote]
[signature]
any report is a good one. its like a text you cant read the body language most comments are made with good entente thanks for the post keep them coming.
[signature]
we all have to question how we treat people on here or this forum will be gone in a flash, his question was a legitimate one and deserved some discussion . it's hard to put your thoughts in front of strangers 1st or 10th post . i hope he will reconsider his decision and come back .
[signature]
I was going to point out the same thing to him but decided I would back off in hopes that it would de-escalate. I'm glad that you handled it as you did. We can, and should, police each other but refrain from name calling and just generally being mean. Thanks for the good example you set. Peace.
[signature]

Fritzfishin

Can never make everyone happy 😂, catch trout and salmon and keep them they complain, keep your limit but keep fishing and letting them go they still complain 😂
[signature]