Fishing Forum

Full Version: Fishing carts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Sometimes when I am bank fishing I have to walk some distance carrying a fair amount of gear. Lately I have used an Ice Cube, a big square cooler with little wheels, but it has limitations so I'm considering getting a wagon or cart of some kind to haul all my junk in. I would like to get something fairly heavy duty but that costs money and weight. Besides, who has to carry a half ton of stuff anyway? So I'm looking at folding carts that only weigh 20-some pounds. This is one that I am leaning toward:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-C.../801154841

What do you all think? What have you used? What should I consider?
[signature]
I’ve looked at and considered the same type of folding wagon. With fixing my boat though I haven’t had the funds to pull the trigger on this purchase. I think in mind it’s a great idea bough some have bigger tires after looking on amazon and thought they would be better for the rocky terrain, just my thought.
[signature]
Look at garden carts: big wheels, good capacity. Not folding, though.
[signature]
I bought that cart last summer in red. I have only used it once and not on rocky terrain. I will be coming down to Pleasant Grove to visit my daughter on Friday. If you want to borrow it for a couple weeks, you can pick it up then and return it to her home when done. Walmart has some with double wheels that handle sand better if that is a concern. PM me if interested.
[signature]
Rocky, I did look at those and I especially like the big pneumatic tires. They are heavy suckers though. I think I could look at some real live models at Home Depot and Lowe's.
[signature]
We bought one similar to that when our daughter was playing club volleyball and used it to haul food drinks etc to the team “tent”, I now have been using for hauling stuff to the bench at the gun ranges, gear and fish to and from the docks when we rent a slip. It has worked well for all but have only dealt with pavement and gravel, they also steer kind of funny, don’t pull straight due to the design or at least not as I think they should lol
[signature]
Yeah, my brother coaches his daughter's softball team and uses his to haul bats, balls, etc. He had it out at the lake yesterday which got me thinking about getting one. I'll have to check out the steering situation.
[signature]
Hi Craig. Have you been hitting UL alot lately?
When I needed to walk in, fishing or hunting, I would remove my back pack from the frame and strap on my small tackle box and cooler. Worked better than pulling something.
Let me know when the cats get Angry.
Doitall.
[signature]
I've seen Ahi use a soft sided cart / wagon of some sort. Not seen it up close. Maybe shoot him a PM ?
[signature]
I have seen these fairly cheap on ksl and have thought about getting it and modifying it for that cause. You could easily mount a milk crate and rod holders to it and the wheels are large enough to handle most terrain and still folds down.

[url "https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stowamatic-i-Trac-Steel-Golf-Pull-Cart/45590245"]https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stowamatic-i-Trac-Steel-Golf-Pull-Cart/45590245[/url]
[signature]
This is a little negative on using a 4 wheel cart, but I thought you might like to hear what might be negatives.

I bank tangle a lot, even though I own a boat, and most places I go to would not be cart friendly. Thinking of the dike at Willard, on the last rocky approach to the water. Also, most approaches to reservoirs like Rockport, Echo, East Canyon, Pineview, Deer Creek. Unless the shoreline next to the water is fairly level and smooth, it will be difficult to pull a wheeled vehicle.

I have put straps on my fish cat float tube, and I can carry it back pack style to the water at most places, with my hands free to carry my rods, etc..

I think I would downsize my gear as much as possible, and then try to pack what I needed in a good size pack pack. When you carry the weight with your legs it seems a lot easier.

When not float tubing and fishing from shore, I currently don't use a back pack, but have a tackle bag with strap that I carry over my shoulder/neck. I carry a cooler with ice for fish, snacks, bait in one hand, and 3 or 4 rods in the other. I hardly ever use all the tackle in the bag and should probably downsize it.

I've walked out to near the point on Rainbow bay at Deer Creek with my gear as described.

I'm 77 years old and can get to most shore fishing spots with this amount of gear.
[signature]
Before I became old and infirm , I got one of those folding carts they sell at Cabala's for carrying out deer etc. I used it for duck decoys, and all the other duck hunting accouterments ( which can be a lot) . Larger size two wheels tame difficult terrain .
[signature]
[#0000ff]I have been using garage sale golf carts to carry float tubes and other gear for a long time. I have also made some with stroller wheels and even pneumatic tires.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][inline SIMPLE.jpg]
[/#0000ff]

[inline UNDERSIDE.jpg]

[#0000ff]Hey, even a baby stroller could make a good gear cart.
[inline "3-WHEEL STROLLER.jpg"]
[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]I still have a few of my old tube carts I no longer use if someone could make use of them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[signature]
This my bank tangling setup.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Check out these 2 from Berkley:[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3][url "https://www.amazon.com/Berkley-BASPPC-Sportsmans-Pro-Cart/dp/B00F9Z1BEA/ref=pd_cp_200_1?pd_rd_w=ZlWUH&pf_rd_p=ef4dc990-a9ca-4945-ae0b-f8d549198ed6&pf_rd_r=47BTQ6B35S2SWBXHTVW3&pd_rd_r=d742e753-8219-11e9-a3fd-f157ef2b5308&pd_rd_wg=vCGhN&pd_rd_i=B00F9Z1BEA&psc=1&refRID=47BTQ6B35S2SWBXHTVW3"]Sportsman's Pro Cart[/url]
[/url][/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3](on sale at $99.94 - Amazon. This is the better deal right now)
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3][url "https://www.amazon.com/Berkley-BASPC-Sportsmans-Cart/dp/B00F9Z1B9A"]Sportsman's Cart[/url][/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]($99.99 - Amazon)
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Google "Fishing Cart" then look at all the images. Ton's to choose from, one should fit your needs. A lot of choices in wheels....1-4, big ones, small ones, fat ones, skinny ones....definitely all-terrain.
Lots that are fairly light and collapsible and a good number of them are less expensive than the folding wagon.

I do agree with the other post....I use to take quite a bit out with me bank fishing as well as ice fishing. Every time I got back to the truck I ALWAYS wondered why in the world I took so much stuff with me. Now, everything I need I can fit in a small backpack.
Some people seem to take more as they get older...bigger chairs, umbrellas, coolers, etc. Me...the older I get the less I take because I've learned that for how and where I fish I don't need all the extras.

Good luck finding the right one!
[signature]
Many thanks to you and Bob. When I searched Fishing Carts before I was appalled at the prices. Seemed like they might be charging a lot just because it said "fishing cart" or Berkley on them. But I will do a more thorough search and see what I can find. Bob, that is a very good sale price on the first one you posted. Now, has anybody used any of these?
[signature]
I have backpack straps for my Fishcat 4, too. Best invention since sliced bread! Ha ha.
[signature]
Glad to hear someone else uses straps. Really helps getting all the gear to the water in one trip.
[signature]
Craig, I have used a golf cart when fishing Willard Bay. I just secured a five gallon bucket to it and it was adequate for my needs. I have also used a soft day pack that fit my needs.

Best look to where you plan to use it. Another thing to think about is weather you plan to carry fish home.

rj
[signature]
Pages: 1 2