Fishing Forum

Full Version: Hyrum Reservoir
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We are headed to hyrum reservoir on Saturday. I've never fished there. online it says there are trout, bass, perch. We don't have a boat so I'll be fishing from shore. What say all ye experts. Is this a powerbait and worm type of place? Are there enough bass there I should take some plastics?

Thanks for any help, I think we'll be headed to the state park entrance where theres a beach?
[signature]
Fished there all the time. I've had luck with power bait or worms and marshmallows for the trout. There are a ton of bass in there so I would highly recommend bringing your bass gear along with you. White curly tail grubs and I think a quarter ounce jig head, three inch senko worms rigged wacky style, or crawdad imitations have always worked well for me.
[signature]
Sweet, thanks for the tips, looking forward to this weekend.
[signature]
[quote jmwhosh]I think we'll be headed to the state park entrance where theres a beach?[/quote]

If you're new to the lake, you should be aware that the beach is actually several blocks south-east of the main state park entrance. The two are not directly connected, and there is no road within the park connecting them. You have to use surface streets, so check a map before you go.
[signature]
So, is this where I want to go then?
[signature]
Yes that is swim beach... Parking and all down by the lake and restrooms... Fishing is pretty good off there too, but you may have to stay out of the swimming area... There is also fishing along the edge over at the boat launch area I like off the rocky point just east of the boat ramp. And if you don't want to pay the park fee, there is the west end along the dam that is pretty good... I usually fish around the spillway area there, or in South west corner... Good luck.. J
[signature]
It looks like Jeff has given you some good info on locations. Looking at google map satellite view you could have walked all the way around the lake when the water was as low as in the photo. Today it is significantly higher, so walking the shoreline might be more difficult. You can see the lake on live webcams at http://hyrumdamcam.com/
[signature]
Off the dam area some nice gills are being caught. Perch are every where. Some decent bass off the dam as well as trout.
I have a boat though- fishing it maybe 3 times a week- its been very good the last 2 weeks.
[signature]
Some good info Skunked gave, also fishing for trout use a small hook with power bait (I like rainbow or chartreuse) only pea size, not the big gobs most people use. Use a bubble full of water to cast out as far as you can and maybe a small split shot to get it to the bottom. Good luck. Oh and sometimes just a marshmallow will work. Pieces of night crawler on the bottom for perch.
[signature]
you guys are all awesome. thanks a bunch for the info. hopefully it's a great day tomorrow.
[signature]