Fishing Forum

Full Version: Strawberry Marina Road Fee
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
It is reasonable that The Strawberry Marina charges a fee for snow removal; however, it is unfortunate that it is going from zero to $12.
[signature]
I will probably only go up three or four time this winter but I think it's well worth a $12.00 fee to be able to get to the marina area. No access would be far worse. Thanks to the owners of the marina for taking care of the road clearing.

Mike
[signature]
Any idea if the state parks pass will waive that fee?
[signature]
[quote wishfulthinking]Any idea if the state parks pass will waive that fee?[/quote]

No, it isn't part of the State Park system.
[signature]
The State Parks Pass will not give you access to Strawberry. Strawberry is federal land (National Forest) not state.

wishful thinking [Wink]
[signature]
[quote kentofnsl]It is reasonable that The Strawberry Marina charges a fee for snow removal; however, it is unfortunate that it is going from zero to $12.[/quote]

Agreed, glad access is guaranteed, but $12 seems a bit steep.
[signature]
Not only is $12 ridiculous, but to call it "winter road maintenance" is pretty rich. That road isn't fit for a trophy truck.

They want to scam you for money to register your car, money for a fishing license, money to register the boat, tens of thousands of dollars a year in state and federal taxes, etc etc. Then they want $12 when I show up to fish. Forget it.

The new management company is pretty short on services, but awful quick to charge.
[signature]
12$ that should take some of the pressure off of the lake. And make parking in the lots off of hwy 40 more congested.
Relating to the condition of the road. There was a post that said they had to leave a layer of snow on the road to protect it. Part of the terms of their permit.
[signature]
Stay away if you don't want to pay to play. [Smile]
[signature]
It has nothing to do with the new management company. The marina is trying to recoup the cost of keeping the road open.
[signature]
Got to love the crowd here that always rushes to defend a price hike. Never fails.
[signature]
Agreed. Especially to fish a POS place like Strawberry. To each their own. Strawberry is safe from me. I’ll never fish that cutt infested trash hole.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3] [/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]I’m not going to direct this to any one individual; it's a general comment to try and put some perspective on the subject. Strawberry is a Federally owned/controlled recreational property under the US Forest Service Agency (USFS). Therefore, State Parks Passes do not work for entrance there.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]In the summer months, the facilities are managed by a concessionaire under contract with the USFS. During the winter months, the facilities management is again the responsibility of the USFS. They don’t have the resources to do anything, so they close at all – with the exception of the Strawberry Bay Marina/Lodgeand a couple of pulloffs along the highway. The Strawberry Marina facility is a privately run, commercial operation that provides services on a for profit basis. They offer lodging, food, equipment rentals and ice shuttle services to name a few.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]They, and they alone, are responsible for keeping the road open in the wintertime so that folks can access that part of the lake. It costs them tens of thousands of dollars each winter season to do this. And most people that use that open road to get to that facility don’t spend ANY money at the lodge/store/restaurant. So, the financial loss to the owners of the commercial operation to keep the road open is substantial. I have absolutely no problem with any business in this country trying to keep their operation in the black. And I really have no sympathy for anybody that does have a problem with that.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Look, $12 a trip to access that part of the lake is NOT going to break any of you. If you simple don’t want to pay it because you’ve been getting in there free for like forever, then simply don’t go there in the winter. Use any of the other entry points kept open along the highway. But Peeing & Moaning about a company trying to stay in business and offering some really nice services to the general public is pretty childish IMHO.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
For years now I've always heard that that road was kept open from the fees we pay on our snowmobile tax and license's. When did that change?
[signature]
I didn't know so many Utah fishermen were such strong Bernie supporters;
I WANT EVERYTHING FREE! I DESERVE EVERYTHING FREE! SOMEBODY ELSE SHOULD PAY FOR ME![crazy][crazy][crazy].
[signature]
I agree with most of what you say,but calling people childish for expressing their views isn’t a Humble opinion in my not so humble opinion.I am waiting for your usual response of calling for your senior or military discount .
[signature]
[quote KOKANEE]

For years now I've always heard that that road was kept open from the fees we pay on our snowmobile tax and license's. When did that change?

[/quote]

The Strawberry Bay Marina has not received any financial support for plowing the road. I had been told that they were paid to plow the road, but yesterday I learned, that what I was told was not true.
[signature]
[quote BYUHunter]

Got to love the crowd here that always rushes to defend a price hike. Never fails.

[/quote]

I don't recall us always defending a price hike. Some of us are just willing to pay our fair share for the activities we choose to participate in. The marina folks had reached the point that they were either going to shut down for the winter or initiate a fee to recover some, but not all, of their costs to keep the road plowed. Previously, the forest service would not allow for winter fees to be collected. The forest service amended their protocols allowing the collection of a winter fee. Had the forest service not changed their policies the folks at the marina had reached the point that they would shut down for the winter.
[signature]
[quote KOKANEE]For years now I've always heard that that road was kept open from the fees we pay on our snowmobile tax and license's. When did that change?[/quote]

You are correct in that money from your license (habitat fund) and money from State Parks & Recreation (snowmobile access fund) went to help fund the snow removal at Strawberry.

A total of $15,000 from the habitat fund and $40,000 of in-kind from the State Parks fund is what was budgeted for 2020. This money has never really covered the whole cost of snow removal at Strawberry, especially on big snow years.
[signature]
Pages: 1 2