Fishing Forum

Full Version: Battery for trolling motor
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want to get a battery for my electric motor and wanted to hear from some of you about size , etc. thanks
(03-29-2022, 11:58 PM)fishgiver Wrote: [ -> ]I want to get a battery for my electric motor and wanted to hear from some of you about size , etc. thanks

What are you going to use it on, a float tube, if it's for a boat, what size boat?
I will use it on a 16’ Lund boat.
I will assume it is a 12v trolling motor. Bite the bullet and get a 100 AH lithium battery. Battle Born and Ionic are two highly rated companies. Ionic comes with an amazing Bluetooth monitoring system built in. BB is made in Nevada.
The Lithium battery is a great purchase but if you're not willing to fork out the cash , I have a neighbor that purchased Walmart marine batteries and this will be his 5th year using them and has had no problems.
I use 2 AGMs (24vdc motor) in my boat.  They out last & out perform lead acid batteries and are way cheaper than Lithium.  While the Lithium will out perform the AGMs in run time, I doubt seriously they will out last them by any significant amount.  Here is a good write up that compares the two.  Which Battery is Best for my RV? An AGM and Lithium Battery Comparison. | Go Power (gpelectric.com)

Lithium = $900 - $1,000.

AGM = $200 - $300 (less on sale)

You can buy 3 or 4 AGM batteries for the cost of one (1) Lithium.  I average about 5 to 6 years out of my AGMs on my boat.  I doubt seriously that one Lithium battery will last 20 to 24 years.

Also, you will need a Lithium battery charger (more cost) as you can't use a regular lead acid/AGM charger on a Lithium battery without probable damage to the Lithium battery.

If the budget doesn't support the AGMs, then (as packfish suggested) the Wally World deep-cycle, marine lead acid battery is a good choice.
(03-30-2022, 06:13 PM)dubob Wrote: [ -> ]I use 2 AGMs (24vdc motor) in my boat.  They out last & out perform lead acid batteries and are way cheaper than Lithium.  While the Lithium will out perform the AGMs in run time, I doubt seriously they will out last them by any significant amount.  Here is a good write up that compares the two.  Which Battery is Best for my RV? An AGM and Lithium Battery Comparison. | Go Power (gpelectric.com)

Lithium = $900 - $1,000.

AGM = $200 - $300 (less on sale)

You can buy 3 or 4 AGM batteries for the cost of one (1) Lithium.  I average about 5 to 6 years out of my AGMs on my boat.  I doubt seriously that one Lithium battery will last 20 to 24 years.

Also, you will need a Lithium battery charger (more cost) as you can't use a regular lead acid/AGM charger on a Lithium battery without probable damage to the Lithium battery.

If the budget doesn't support the AGMs, then (as packfish suggested) the Wally World deep-cycle, marine lead acid battery is a good choice.

I have been a fan of the AGM class for over 15yrs now, still have the original I bought back in 2007 in my boat and is holding a charge. I added a 2nd AGM to the boat last year and when the wet cell lead acid died in my Escalade after 3½yrs I installed an AGM about 4mo ago. Next will be my diesel truck with a pair of them.
I 3rd the AGM. They are the best value for the money and the amount of charges you get out of them. That's all I buy.
This past summer I purchased a 54 AH lithium battery for my pontoon type inflatable boat. I can't say enough good about it. But the very best part is it only weighs 17lbs. What a nice relief from packing my old AGM 66lb battery. It comes with a 11 year warranty, lasts longer while out fishing and performs perfectly. I still use Walmart batteries in my Bass boat but when I need to buy new ones I will opt for the lithium batteries. Yes, they are not cheap but from what I get from them they are worth it to me. I paid 400.00 for the battery so it was about double of what a AGM would cost but the waranty is way longer and it's a ton lighter which is what really sold me on buying one. Also the charger came with it at no extra charge.