Fishing Forum

Full Version: Sunday drive-by at RP and EC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Rockport..last month I ice fished near the So. end ( three bouys area), 20 FOW, yesterday totally dry..down more than 20' in just a month!...I agree with letting water out in preperation for a whole lot more coming in, but now I'm worried about the perch spawn with that whole 1/3 of the res dried up..Almost all the Northern 2/3 still ice covered..some open water along the West river channel, but not yet to the Marina...

Echo...also being lowered, both res. feeding the Weber River, thankfully helping feed the GSL...South end, almost 1/3 of the res., is open water, including the boat ramp area and a little further North toward the dam...I didn't look close enough at the ramp to see if it'd be safe to launch, with water level being down so low...but it was definitely open and lots of fishable water...and then still a lot of ice from there to the dam...

As Bduck noted, lots of dead deer seen, but also a lot of bigger herds casually feeding/loafing, especially between EC and Morgan..
(04-24-2023, 10:04 PM)Jmorfish Wrote: [ -> ]Rockport..last month I ice fished near the So. end ( three bouys area), 20 FOW, yesterday totally dry..down more than 20' in just a month!...I agree with letting water out in preperation for a whole lot more coming in, but now I'm worried about the perch spawn with that whole 1/3 of the res dried up..Almost all the Northern 2/3 still ice covered..some open water along the West river channel, but not yet to the Marina...

Echo...also being lowered, both res. feeding the Weber River, thankfully helping feed the GSL...South end, almost 1/3 of the res., is open water, including the boat ramp area and a little further North toward the dam...I didn't look close enough at the ramp to see if it'd be safe to launch, with water level being down so low...but it was definitely open and lots of fishable water...and then still a lot of ice from there to the dam...

As Bduck noted, lots of dead deer seen, but also a lot of bigger herds casually feeding/loafing, especially between EC and Morgan..

Thanks for the Drive by report Joe. One thing I wish the DWR would add some of that PVC structure they sunk out in deep water, on the shallow end of the lake at RP, it would be great spawning structure for the perch, especially when the lake is low. 

On Outdoors with Adam Eakle, they talked about all the dead deer, they said there was over 66% Winter kill in some parts of the state and they expected that to go up, until the deer switch from a browse duiet to a grass diet and even then some deer would not make it because they are too weak. The last bad Winter we had there was a 90% mortality rate, in some parts of the state.