Fishing Forum

Full Version: It’s been a while since I’ve been on here
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey everyone. I haven’t been on here in a while. It’s good to see everyone. I have finally been able to get out and fish like I like to do. Got a good boat finally too. I have a question. I remember some time back there was a fishing day put on for veterans. Is that still going on! If so my wife and I would love to offer our services. We would love to volunteer with it. She’s already thinking of things to cook for everyone. Something that can feed a lot of people like lasagna or something. 

It’s good to be back. And if anyone would like to get out and fish let me know! It’s good being back!!
As far as I know, that veterans trip was discontinued. I don't remember the details, but it was some legal or liability issue.
I don't remember what shut it down either, but that used to be a fun event... Good to have you back and set up to fish... Probably been 8 years or more since we last did the vet fishing day, I'm sure someone with a better memory than I will fill in the details of what happened... Later J
That’s a shame that’s not going on anymore. I guess it’s been longer than I thought since being back here.
(05-23-2024, 06:21 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: [ -> ]I don't remember what shut it down either, but that used to be a fun event... Good to have you back and set up to fish...  Probably been 8 years or more since we last did the vet fishing day, I'm sure someone with a better memory than I will fill in the details of what happened... Later J

I heard from someone up at the marina that it ended after COVID
The last year it was held was in 2018.  If you want to know why it was discontinued after that, click on the link below and read the thread from 2019 that explains what happened:

https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/showthre...id=1073843
That was longer ago than I thought it was.
I was just thinking of this event the other day i help out a couple times and it seemed like such a great thing to do for our vets
I was there for the last one. It was a great event. I am involved with a veteran non profit now and through this I do know that there's a new VA Adaptive Sports Recreation Therapist that transferred in from Texas later last year. She gets veterans out doing stuff so I would assume she would be the person for this or at least know who. I'll reach out to her.

edit to add details of nonprofit I am involved with due to PMs:
I am the program coordinator for a non profit called the We Defy Foundation. We award a 12 month scholarship to qualifying veterans to train brazilian jiu jitsu. We are all volunteers allowing 83% of what we bring in to go directly to the scholarships.
So she responded to my email and it sounds like she is trying to get something similar to this going again. She asked for a POC. I would love to head this up but with a job and my non profit work I am tapped for organizing things.

Anyone know how to get ahold of the guys that organized this in the past?
(05-28-2024, 06:55 PM)TheFishSlayer Wrote: [ -> ]So she responded to my email and it sounds like she is trying to get something similar to this going again. She asked for a POC. I would love to head this up but with a job and my non profit work I am tapped for organizing things.

Anyone know how to get ahold of the guys that organized this in the past?

WET1 was the guy that organized the DAV event, the last few years. He hasn't been on the site since Jan but look up his profile and send him an email.