Fishing Forum

Full Version: Need advice on a good Utah fishing boat.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey gents,
I’m in the market for a new boat in the next few weeks. Grew up skiing in AZ so decent boating experience but not much fishing boat exp. Had a Crestliner 1600 Fishsomething with a 50hp Merc 12-15 years ago. Mostly fly fishing so sold it after 2 years.  I live near Willard Bay so will fish there but want to be able fish Strawberry, Flaming Gorge, Powell as well as the local stuff like Mantua and East Canyon … I’d like to be able to tow a tube with the grand kids but fishing is tops. Right now I’ve narrowed it down to Vexus ADX 180 and Lund Impact 1875 XS. Both with Merc 150hp. Scary thing, both are in the $72K - $75K price (out the door). Not interested in bass boats. I like a little deeper V for bigger water and more seats for people.  Need a walk thru windshield for the wife and a top for sun or rain. The Vexus dealer is 90 min from my house in Utah County. Lund 45 min in N Salt Lake. The biggest complaint I’ve read on the Lund is the thin freeboard dents too easily. It’s .063 vs .1 on the Vexus. Don’t really know if that matters.  I like the Lund track system.  Vexus has rails or screw an aftermarket track to the gunnel. Another question is single vs dual axle trailer. I’ll get it with a 9.9 kicker. Loaded for camping at FG or Powell do I need a tandem? $75K is my max so the next size up is too $$.  Did Lund lose their soul when Bass Pro bought them? They were the gold standard in aluminum boats. Vexus is new so a little less known.  Any thoughts from more experienced folks who fish these waters would be greatly appreciated.
Have you explored Craig List, try west coast & our surrounding area. I watch it for a while before finding what I wanted. Got mine under $30G with dual axle trailer, drove to Everette Washington on a 4day turnaround. 

seattle boats - craigslist
(06-01-2024, 10:24 AM)Troutster Wrote: [ -> ]Hey gents,
I’m in the market for a new boat in the next few weeks. Grew up skiing in AZ so decent boating experience but not much fishing boat exp. Had a Crestliner 1600 Fishsomething with a 50hp Merc 12-15 years ago. Mostly fly fishing so sold it after 2 years.  I live near Willard Bay so will fish there but want to be able fish Strawberry, Flaming Gorge, Powell as well as the local stuff like Mantua and East Canyon … I’d like to be able to tow a tube with the grand kids but fishing is tops. Right now I’ve narrowed it down to Vexus ADX 180 and Lund Impact 1875 XS. Both with Merc 150hp. Scary thing, both are in the $72K - $75K price (out the door). Not interested in bass boats. I like a little deeper V for bigger water and more seats for people.  Need a walk thru windshield for the wife and a top for sun or rain. The Vexus dealer is 90 min from my house in Utah County. Lund 45 min in N Salt Lake. The biggest complaint I’ve read on the Lund is the thin freeboard dents too easily. It’s .063 vs .1 on the Vexus. Don’t really know if that matters.  I like the Lund track system.  Vexus has rails or screw an aftermarket track to the gunnel. Another question is single vs dual axle trailer. I’ll get it with a 9.9 kicker. Loaded for camping at FG or Powell do I need a tandem? $75K is my max so the next size up is too $$.  Did Lund lose their soul when Bass Pro bought them? They were the gold standard in aluminum boats. Vexus is new so a little less known.  Any thoughts from more experienced folks who fish these waters would be greatly appreciated.

Had two Crestliner Fish Hawks in my day.  Only way to go in my book.  Less expensive than Lunds, plus 4" gunnel, and they also have track-system.  Alumacraft ain't too shabby, either.
I ran a 16 ft Tracker Targa for 11 years with no issues.  Freds Marine in Layton is about 30 minutes from you and has several available right now and set up in their new showroom.  You could also do as Bduck suggested and shop for some used Hewes, ThunderJet, North River, Duckworth boats well within your budget.  I friend just found an 18 ft Hewes in pristine condition for about $40,000 out of Kalifornia.
Vexus is all the people that left ranger when they got bought out. I was seriously considering getting one but the closest dealer was in Vegas the new dealership is again old ranger dealer from salt lake and has great customer service. There also is a couple of skeeters on KSL right now that have everything your looking for. I ended up getting the same model and have no regrets.i can fish tournament s and still take the family out for tubing and skiing and be just as comfortable. For what it's Worth

Forgot to mention the skeeters are the WX series
I have owned Crestliner, Lunds, a G3 and who knows what else…
In ‘16 I ordered a 1850 Reata from Robertsons and I maxed it out with a 175 hp.
By far the best boat I have ever owned.
Never been in the shop.
I call it my floating dance floor, 85” inside to inside of cockpit.

[Image: image.jpg]

[Image: image.jpg]

I forgot to add the Reata comes with a ‘Family package’. It includes a vertical tow bar that inserts in a socket in front of outboard, a walk under bimini, and front bow cushions in the seating area ( mine are not installed).
My wife and grandkids love to sit in front.
Pop up rear deck seats behind the 2nd row of pedestal seats (I have never installed the 2nd row of pedestals because the pop up deck seats are so easy to use then convert back to rear deck).

Pro tip: MAX out your hp, no matter what boat you buy.
Enjoy the hunt for a new boat, it is an awesome adventure!
[Image: IMG-3175.jpg]
I bought a used Crestliner, my first boat, back in the mid-to-late 80s. I'm sure they're better now but it was a pretty crappy boat. Bought a new Alumacraft 165 Magnum tiller steer in ~1995, and really liked it. I fished up to 20 miles off shore out of La Push, Washington, and caught more fish it in than the boat weighed. Still miss it some days.

I'd look seriously at them if I was in the market. Marine Products, the local dealer, has a couple of Alumacraft 185 FXSs in stock, $40K for boat, motor and trailer. The Mercury 150HP engine is awesome. Add maybe $10K for electronics, etc, and you could be out the door in the mid 50's. If it was me and I wasn't in a hurry I might order one with a 115HP, so you could troll with it and not have a kicker.

Most boats are undertrailered. The 185 FXS is on a single axle trailer with 15" wheels. I run Goodyear Endurance tires now after a few catastrophic failures of Chinese tires (Carlise, etc). Not good when it happens anywhere, but especially in the Columbia River Gorge.
Being two gals who are ardent anglers we’ve owned 3 Lund’s.  Our current boat is 2019 Tyee.  With the  IPS 2 hull it’s a very smooth riding boat in waves and handles great.  For quality one can’t top a Lund.  98” beam 4” gunnels 200 hp V6 Merc and 15 hp kicker, sport track system we’re set.  Got this boat from Rogers and they are a top notch Lund dealer and their service department is awesome especially head technician Phil.  I believe Rogers also sells Thunder Jets.  Lund’s are made by Brunswick not Bass Pro.  Also Tandem trailers by rule of thumb come with boats that are 18’ plus.  Smaller boats are usually single axle.  We prefer aluminum boats and stay away from fiberglass.  So you know Brunswick not only make Lund’s but Crestliner and Lowe boats also.  So for us you can’t go wrong with a Lund. Good Luck on whatever you decide.
And be sure to get a real kicker, not just a little outboard hanging off the back.
It not only keeps hours off your big expensive main, a second means of propulsion for emergencies, but a real kicker also is an emergency generator because it charges your house battery as you troll.

I have owned 2 Lunds since 2004.  Bought them both from Petersen Marine in Riverdale.  But they closed out several years ago. Now only Lund dealer in northern Utah is in SLC.   
I only have a small 14' tiller Lund, but have had it 17 years.  Not had any major issues with it. As other poster has said, what ever you decide to buy, if you get it new from  a dealer, get the biggest motor allowed for that boat.  
I've never owned or even been on a Tracker. But there are alot of them out on Willard almost any day. I have dealt with Fred's Marine in Layton for several years. They have a Mercury certified mechanic. That's where I have had all my annual motor servicing done since Petersen's closed. Bought my new motor there in 2020. Their staff is awesome. 
My two cents is I would consider getting larger welded aluminum boat like myself, Twoknotts and several other members fish. With in your budget you could get a used boat with a kicker, trolling motor, down riggers and electronics, they have a wider beams, have a lot of room with plenty of seating and will do everything you want them to do. I love my Wooldrigde 20’ Supersport  Off Shore with a semi hard top that keeps us out of the wind and weather the offshore platform on the back of the boat makes getting tubers and skiers in and out of the water easier, with lots of room to fish in the front and back.
[Image: IMG-1409.jpg]

[Image: IMG-1411.jpg]

[Image: IMG-1414.jpg]

[Image: IMG-1415.jpg]Out
Whatever you get, budget for an autopilot.  It's very difficult to explain to others how helpful they are and how much they increase your fishing efficiency.  I'd go for a less powerful engine, so that your idle speed is 3MPH or less, which will allow you to troll without a kicker.  My setup is simple, a single main with the autopilot.  I can clear the harbor and set the autopilot to a waypoint 50 miles offshore.  My AP and chartplotter beep when I arrive, then I throttle down to trolling speed and set lines.  Having a kicker would mandate a tiebar, both of which increase complexity.  I can and have run fives lines trolling for tuna solo, nearly 60 miles offshore.  I'm virtually always on AP after leaving the marina.

Whenever these threads come up, one or more posters always recommends maxing out your hull's HP rating.  Happy to see somebody did above, the thread wouldn't be complete without them. But being able to run and troll with a single engine has distinct advatages.

Shane said a kicker keeps hours off your main, which is true.  But I don't think that matters at all.  I put about 100 hours per year on mine, and my trade-in value wasn't affected at all when I repowered in 2015.

Think I'll don my flameproof suit now. Wink
Thanks for the replies. Which ever boat I get I will max out the hp. I’m adding a 9.9hp kicker which I think is a “real” kicker for an 18-19 foot rig. I can’t go much bigger than the boats listed because the boat needs to fit in my shed and the $$’s grow with the size of the boat. I have been checking Boat Trader to look at prices around the country. Our local dealers are as good or better than most, plus I like supporting the locals when possible. The Vexus is an all welded hull. I can fit a Vexus ADX 190 and it’ll take a 175hp main. The next size up Lund is too long. If I can afford the 190 I think I’ll go that route. If not I will order the Lund which is 18’11’’. Both terrific boats. Thanks for the suggestions!
(06-03-2024, 12:58 AM)Troutster Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the replies. Which ever boat I get I will max out the hp.  I’m adding a 9.9hp kicker which I think is a “real” kicker for an 18-19 foot rig.  I can’t go much bigger than the boats listed because the boat needs to fit in my shed and the $$’s grow with the size of the boat.  I have been checking Boat Trader to look at prices around the country.  Our local dealers are as good or better than most, plus I like supporting the locals when possible.  The Vexus is an all welded hull. I can fit a Vexus ADX 190 and it’ll take a 175hp main.  The next size up Lund is too long. If I can afford the 190 I think I’ll go that route. If not I will order the Lund which is 18’11’’.  Both terrific boats. Thanks for the suggestions!

You want either a Merc Pro Kicker, a Yamaha T series, or a Suzuki kicker.
All these brands also make 9.9 boat motors.
Suzuki kickers have been EFI for many years, Mercury kickers ( made by Tohatsu with Merc stickers) have only recently went EFI so choose carefully, and Yammy is still carbureted and for the life of me I do not know why as their big motors are EFI.
An EFI you don’t have to dick with a choke lever every day and can’t flood it.
A usual giveaway is a real kicker has ‘Mickey Mouse ears’ looking prop blades, three or four of them.
Spend the extra few dollars for trim/tilt and electric start.
Priceless!
Boats are a funny thing. They all are pretty dang good nowadays. Having ran a Lund Impact 1875 and Alumacraft trophy. I personally feel the fit and finish on a Alumacraft is touch better and they handle tighter on the water. Both are fantastic boats though. Marine Products in SLC is great and Verne is awesome to work with. Before you pull the trigger on one, take a hard look at the Alumacraft...
(06-03-2024, 03:09 PM)WalleyeAl Wrote: [ -> ]Boats are a funny thing. They all are pretty dang good nowadays. Having ran a Lund Impact 1875 and Alumacraft trophy. I personally feel the fit and finish on a Alumacraft is touch better and they handle tighter on the water. Both are fantastic boats though. Marine Products in SLC is great and Verne is awesome to work with. Before you pull the trigger on one, take a hard look at the Alumacraft...

Back when I bought Alumacraft I did so because I felt like it was a better value than the Lund. I think they're worth a look.
(06-03-2024, 04:17 PM)Paddler Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-03-2024, 03:09 PM)WalleyeAl Wrote: [ -> ]Boats are a funny thing. They all are pretty dang good nowadays. Having ran a Lund Impact 1875 and Alumacraft trophy. I personally feel the fit and finish on a Alumacraft is touch better and they handle tighter on the water. Both are fantastic boats though. Marine Products in SLC is great and Verne is awesome to work with. Before you pull the trigger on one, take a hard look at the Alumacraft...

Back when I bought Alumacraft I did so because I felt like it was a better value than the Lund. I think they're worth a look.

You most definitely get more bang for your buck with the Alumacraft! They also have higher HP ratings for the same length of boat.
Have had 3 Alumacrafts from Marine Product in SL. Great sales/service. Quality went up when Bombadier purchased the company. Hull construction is the best. Your budget would land you a decked out Alumacraft!!
(06-03-2024, 06:21 PM)shemming Wrote: [ -> ]Have had 3 Alumacrafts from Marine Product in SL. Great sales/service. Quality went up when Bombadier purchased the company. Hull construction is the best. Your budget would land you a decked out Alumacraft!!

If you are going to go Alumacraft from MP, definitely go with a Zuke as your main.
And that is coming from a guy who loves his 175 ProXS!
If Alumacraft made fiberglass boats and hung big Zukes on the back I would be driving there right now.
[Image: avatar.jpg]

I'm with Shane.  I bought my Ranger Reata in 2013.  It's an awesome boat, and can handle everything I've ever encountered on Powell.

pros and cons both ways of fiberglass vs. aluminum.  One thing i'll say for fiberglass is that I'll bet my Reata 1850 can handle rougher chop than any aluminum boat mentioned above...

Family package is great -- but my front pads have been sitting on a shelf in the garage since 2013.  Never use them. 
We use the tow bar all the time pulling wakeboards and knee boards.  If we pull the big tube, I rig up the harness to get the attach point lower on the boat. 

The front deck is an awesome fly-casting platform.
The rear deck is nice too -- as long as you aren't using the kicker seats.
Lots of storage.  Solid boat. 

I've also only got a single (150hp 4stroke).  No kicker.  Yet.

[Image: IMG-2278.jpg]

Extended stay camp trips -- extra fuel. (for when 34 gallons isn't enough!)

[Image: IMG-1044.jpg]
Pages: 1 2