Fishing Forum

Full Version: Quick LB trip 7/15
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Made a quick trip to LB to start off the week. 2 other boats were launched when we arrived about 8:00 or so. I had my second oldest and my youngest with me today. We started trolling in front of the channel and headed north. I was doing S turns varying speed from 0.5-0.9 mph but it was a tough day. Finally after an hour and 20 minutes catslayer rod bent in 1/2. It didn't look like a monster but a decent fish, but it was just shy of 29.5" and weighed 9.13 lbs. After another 30-45 minutes and changing out the leader to one I made with a spin n glo Carson finally hooked into one. It was his first fish of the year at 26.5". He isn't keen on touching them so no weight or picture with it lol. I got sweating and weak and immediately knew I was having complications with diabetes so we jetted back to the dock and headed home. It wasn't a great day but it was nice to get out even though I got sick. 

[Image: 20240715-091603.jpg]
That dang diabetes is brutal. Glad you got off with a bit of action
That's a dandy channel cat dude.
Good on ya for recognizing your own signs and responding to them instead of "powering through" it. Being on Utah Lake during any kind of emergency is a scary thought, especially with younglings.
I learned as a teenager how quick that lake can turn from glass to danger in the blink of an eye, and have great respect for the power of that body of water. We are at the mercy of a number of things outside of our control; the fact that you exercised rational thought over emotion in your situation is commendable!
Hey Justin,

Thanks for the report and the pictures. I'm glad you guys got out and got a fish or two for your sons. I haven't been on the lake since mid June, so I don't know where the cats were hiding. I hope you feel better on your next outing!
(07-17-2024, 02:24 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: [ -> ]That dang diabetes is brutal. Glad you got off with a bit of action

Yes I've had it for 20+ years so I'm pretty cautious and aware of what to expect.

(07-17-2024, 01:49 PM)joshomaru Wrote: [ -> ]That's a dandy channel cat dude.
Good on ya for recognizing your own signs and responding to them instead of "powering through" it.  Being on Utah Lake during any kind of emergency is a scary thought, especially with younglings. 
I learned as a teenager how quick that lake can turn from glass to danger in the blink of an eye, and have great respect for the power of that body of water.  We are at the mercy of a number of things outside of our control; the fact that you exercised rational thought over emotion in your situation is commendable!

Thank you. I definitely don't like to put anyone else in a predicament but we teach our kids early things like driving the boat, starting the boat, Trailering the boat, what straps and such need to be put on Transom, all that stuff so if there is a time I have issues like a seizure or diabetic complication they can take over while I sit in the truck. We really push responsibility in our house.hopefully my kids are learning lol

(07-17-2024, 02:15 PM)Piscophilic Wrote: [ -> ]Hey Justin,

Thanks for the report and the pictures. I'm glad you guys got out and got a fish or two for your sons. I haven't been on the lake since mid June, so I don't know where the cats were hiding. I hope you feel better on your next outing!

Hope everything is Ok, miss reading your reports. Everyday is an adventure with the health so hopefully next trip the health is good.
Nice fish! Kinda looks like a big female?? The cats I caught a couple of weeks ago were mostly males that looked like they had been in some tough love disputes. Diabetes is real bummer and another that can sneak up on ya is the heat. Seems like no matter how much I try to stay hydrated I can only take a couple of hours of the brutal heat and I'm outta there. I'm with Pisco, haven't been out for a couple of weeks but plan to hit 'em again soon. Good on ya for getting your boys out.
Good times coming.