Fishing Forum

Full Version: Slow day at Willard July 16
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ira and I hit Willard yesterday morning, we got to the South marina gate at 5:55 am and the gate was open. We headed to the West side and as soon as we stopped, we started marking good fish right on or near the bottom. We started bottom bouncing with worm harness but after two hours and only one cat to show for our time there, we decided to move toward the East end of the lake, where we heard people were getting into some boils. After having no more luck BBing we started trolling and picked up three perch and one walleye, before the action stopped. We kept at it but around 1 pm we had enough and we headed in. Only 3 or 4 trailers in the parking lot but the power squad was pouring in as we were leaving. Water temp got up to 79 degrees before we got off the water but the water was clear. I think we will go back after the kokes next week.
Did you see any boils?
(07-17-2024, 11:50 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: [ -> ]Did you see any boils?

No boils, everyone that is seeing them, report that they are fishing in the evening.
Won't be long 'til fliggin' time.  I'll probably not hit Willard again until after Labor Day.  I usually do pretty well from then until iceup.  Hope the big perch show up in numbers again this year...usually about the end of September into October. 

In the meantime, I'd love to chase some wiper boils.  But with my "high powered" craft I don't have the speed and range for that frivolity.  However, in times past...when there were a lot more wipers...I got to sit right in the middle of some boils with my tube and actually had fish grab lures just dangled in the water in front of me...while others were bouncing off my legs.  Ahhhhh...the good ol' days.
Sounds like you did ok with it being middle of summer, it will be fall soon enough
(07-20-2024, 03:05 AM)2knots Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like you did ok with it being middle of summer, it will be fall soon enough

Well, it was better than getting skunked, but I guess I always expect to do a little better. With all the reports I've heard about on folks seeing boils out there, I was expecting to see something like that but not on this trip at least.
(07-18-2024, 10:13 PM)TubeDude Wrote: [ -> ]Won't be long 'til fliggin' time.  I'll probably not hit Willard again until after Labor Day.  I usually do pretty well from then until iceup.  Hope the big perch show up in numbers again this year...usually about the end of September into October. 

In the meantime, I'd love to chase some wiper boils.  But with my "high powered" craft I don't have the speed and range for that frivolity.  However, in times past...when there were a lot more wipers...I got to sit right in the middle of some boils with my tube and actually had fish grab lures just dangled in the water in front of me...while others were bouncing off my legs.  Ahhhhh...the good ol' days.

I agree with that statement, and I have no doubt those big old perch will show up again this Fall, with the size we are catching now. Two of the three we caught were at least 12 inches.