Fishing Forum

Full Version: Willard being Willard
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Mark and I meet Dave at the north marina about 7:20 and launched soon after. Headed down toward the south marina looking for birds from the feedlot way past the south marina entrance, nothing no big groups like last week. So we went back to the south marina area and dropped in the cranks and trolled toward Freeway. The bait balls that were there had greatly diminished until we got near Freeway. Finally Mark got a takedown that came unbuttoned close to the boat but no ID on the fish. A bit later Dave hooked up and landed the 1st wiper. We kept working the and I picked up another but that was it for the day. Weather was warm, water temp was around 65 when we started never checked when we pulled out around 1. Highway patrol had 1 side of the ramp at the north marina tied up with dive training. Fun day with Dave and Mark although the catching was off.
(10-10-2024, 02:02 AM)2knots Wrote: [ -> ]Mark and I meet Dave at the north marina about 7:20 and launched soon after. Headed down toward the south marina looking for birds from the feedlot way past the south marina entrance, nothing no big groups like last week. So we went back to the south marina area and dropped in the cranks and trolled toward Freeway. The bait balls that were there had greatly diminished until we got near Freeway. Finally Mark got a takedown that came unbuttoned close to the boat but no ID on the fish. A bit later Dave hooked up and landed the 1st wiper. We kept working the and I picked up another but that was it for the day. Weather was warm, water temp was around 65 when we started never checked when we pulled out around 1. Highway patrol had 1 side of the ramp at the north marina tied up with dive training. Fun day with Dave and Mark although the catching was off.

Thanks for the report Alan, bummer things had slowed down that much. Did you try fligging for the cats?
(10-10-2024, 01:14 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-10-2024, 02:02 AM)2knots Wrote: [ -> ]Mark and I meet Dave at the north marina about 7:20 and launched soon after. Headed down toward the south marina looking for birds from the feedlot way past the south marina entrance, nothing no big groups like last week. So we went back to the south marina area and dropped in the cranks and trolled toward Freeway. The bait balls that were there had greatly diminished until we got near Freeway. Finally Mark got a takedown that came unbuttoned close to the boat but no ID on the fish. A bit later Dave hooked up and landed the 1st wiper. We kept working the and I picked up another but that was it for the day. Weather was warm, water temp was around 65 when we started never checked when we pulled out around 1. Highway patrol had 1 side of the ramp at the north marina tied up with dive training. Fun day with Dave and Mark although the catching was off.

Thanks for the report Alan, bummer things had slowed down that much. Did you try fligging for the cats?
No we never broke out the fligs
I pretty much had the same (0) luck on Tuesday...looking for wipers out of the south marina.  When we were there with Obi last Friday there were a lot of fish...and a lot of shad...and a lot of birds.  Tuesday...nada.  When the shad move the predators move with them.  And that's Willard.

Did you do any searching around the north marina at all?  Thinking about an exploratory up there early next week.
(10-10-2024, 04:51 PM)TubeDude Wrote: [ -> ]I pretty much had the same (0) luck on Tuesday...looking for wipers out of the south marina.  When we were there with Obi last Friday there were a lot of fish...and a lot of shad...and a lot of birds.  Tuesday...nada.  When the shad move the predators move with them.  And that's Willard.

Did you do any searching around the north marina at all?  Thinking about an exploratory up there early next week.

It's looking like late next week, the weather will finally be changing, hopefully the catching for perch will improve there after, check out this link for Oct 18th.
https://www.windfinder.com/forecast/willard
(10-10-2024, 04:51 PM)TubeDude Wrote: [ -> ]I pretty much had the same (0) luck on Tuesday...looking for wipers out of the south marina.  When we were there with Obi last Friday there were a lot of fish...and a lot of shad...and a lot of birds.  Tuesday...nada.  When the shad move the predators move with them.  And that's Willard.

We trolled up to the north marina entrance was it, me
Ver went up toward the north dike. Lots of shad balls in freeway area like was by the south marina last week just never found the wipers in any numbers but suspect they w
Old be there soon
(10-10-2024, 06:07 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: [ -> ]

It's looking like late next week, the weather will finally be changing, hopefully the catching for perch will improve there after, check out this link for Oct 18th.
https://www.windfinder.com/forecast/willard
Yep.  That's a cooldown.  Records for past years show me starting to do best about Halloween.  Trick or Treat.