Fishing Forum

Full Version: OT-- How Much Would You pay for a Buck?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For all those of you that hunt as well as fish.

How much would you pay to hunt one Mule Deer in Utah?

Found this atricle [size 1]interesting[/size] in the Trib. This morning.

[url "http://www.sltrib.com/2004/Mar/03262004/utah/151298.asp"]http://www.sltrib.com/2004/Mar/03262004/utah/151298.asp[/url]
[signature]
If I had the money I would bid on these tags as I thin k the money is used on good projects. Correct me if I'm wrong but this money is spent on conservation and reestablishment of species. It does not go into the general fund. I have spent 2 grand for an elk hunt on a private ranch. The CWMU's get some bad press but they are a good thing also Finnally the ranchers/farmers have some incentive to let wildlife live. Rather than shoot them and leave them to rot in the fields. And wildlife dont know about property lines and do wander of these private ranches. So I feel these help out the surronding herds also.

John
[signature]
I'd love one of those tags... get to shoot a big buck sniffing doe butt. I don't like seeing mulies get hunted during the rut. But, I'd do it. If I ever get rich I'm gonna bid on them tags. However, it kinda pisses me off, too. What if that guy gets to shoot my big buck I scouted on the deer hunt, and never could get??? I think they should cut the season off after November 15th for them hunts.
[signature]
The way I look at it, the benefits outway the cost. It is true that it seems a little elitist to let some big wallet slicker come in and just have the run of the place but it is also true that without the proceeds from these kinds of permit auctions, hunting would be a lot worse off for everybody. So I feel it is in our best interest overall.

I also think the CWMUs are good overall. I have been fortunate to have drawn out on several, mostly antlerless hunts. But the fact remains that the hunting experience has been far superior to hunting on public lands during the general hunts. And the success rate has been near 100%. So that is all fantastic. However, I do think there is a slight downside. There are two things that concern me. One thing is that even CWMU's might be helping to turn hunting into a rich man's sport. The only sure way to get a quality hunting permit these days is to pay a lot of money for them at a CWMU. While it is true that without CWMU's we would have no access to some privates lands, which is a good benefit, the number of permits that can be drawn out by the public is relativeiy low. So it really only beneifits a few each year. But I would stilll argue strongly that it is better than nothing. My second concern arises because I'm not sure that hunters that draw a CWMU through the public draw really do get treated the same as those that pay for their's. On a couple of occasions I have been restircted from hunting certain parts of the CWMU and I strongly suspect it was done to not disturb the hunting areas that the paying customers are being guided on. That goes against one of the basic principles of CWMU philosophy, that public hunters get an equal opportunity to have a quality hunt on lands that they would not otherwise have access to. Well, if I am herded off to one part of the ranch while the paying customers go to another, than you can't really claim that equal access has been givin. With that said, I have still hunted in some awesome terrain that otherwise I couldn't have, so I can't complain too loud.

Anyway, even with all of that I still support auctions for those conservation permits and I still support the CWMU program. Overall I think that they really help hunting a whole lot more than they hurt, for now.

m
[signature]
wouldnt it be nice to be able to afford such a luxury.. [crazy]
[signature]
I hadda say this, if the tag says one buck, then that should cost one buck and nothing more![crazy][pirate]
[signature]