Fishing Forum

Full Version: Walleyes how can u tell?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How can you tell the difference between a female walleye and a male?Besides their bellies full of eggs?I caught a 33 incher female out of yuba years ago and she wasnt fat so i kept her for lunch.She had roe still inside her and if i would have known i would have released her! Is there a certain feature that distinguishes them? Like the tail , head,etc..? Here is the pic of her.
[signature]
I am not sure how to tell but i just had to say " that is one hell of a walleye" but that is why i love yuba.. i have had mornings there catching 25 walleye. and all i would use is a whole night crawler on a jig head, and bounce it on the bottom. sometimes i would use a minnow on a jig head, and hook it thru the head...

JOe
[signature]
I hear ya![sly]
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]When walleyes are small...under 20 inches and too young to spawn...it is just about impossible to tell the genders apart. No coloration or anatomy differences.

[#0000ff][size 1]I have been told that the "orifice" near the tail is a different shape in males and females. Don't know for sure and I have not conducted any personal surveys. Not into that kinky stuff.[/size][/#0000ff][/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]When walleyes become sexually mature the differences are most pronounced at spawning time. Do they drip eggs or :milt"? Post spawn walleyes are again tough to distinguish. But, as a general rule, any fish over about 24 inches is PROBABLY a female.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Walleye, like many other species, grow the girls bigger than the boys. Largemouth bass are another prime example. The biggest fish are always females.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]On the other hand, in many species of catfish the males grow bigger. Same with trout and salmon.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Some fish really confuse the issue. Notably, many species of wrasse (like the west coast sheepshead) all begin life as females. Until they reach a certain age and size, they are functionally females and are a different shape and color than the males. Then, they do the gender bender thing and change to functional males...and remain so for the rest of their lives. [/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
hey tube im chucks buddy ken. has he shown you a pic of his 26 inch male largest he or myself have ever seen. im still suposed to mount it for him . ask him about it for a male its huge! crossineye
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey Ken, Chuck told me about that fish, but I have not seen the pic. That is a humongous male. Was his name Arnold and did he run for governator?[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Here's some pics from the "olden days", before the extensive harvesting of walleyes and before the size limit restrictions. One pic includes a 30 inch post spawn female...about 10 pounds. The other pic is of a PIG mama I caught early one November, in American Fork Boat Harbor, while jigging a small spoon for whites. It was about 27 inches but weighed 12 pounds. Most fish that length weigh in around 7 to 8 pounds. Mine was full of body fat and white bass. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]In the good old days, releasing 30 or 40 fish a day, all over 5 pounds, was not unusual. It was unusual to see more than a couple of people fishing successfully at Lincoln Beach...other than during the spawn. Then, most of the walleyes harvested were taken on walleye dry flies...treble hooks. But, I almost had the area to myself while tubing before and after the spawn. Everybody else in those days was out a-troutin'. [/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
wow tubedude those are some reallnice fish, i would be happy landing any of those that are on your table
[signature]
man that single looks like chucks lrg mouth . when you cleaned it did you get someones vollyball? lol great pics. are you coming back to utah soon? chuck and i cant wait to hook up with ya. ken
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Glad you liked the pics, Ken. Heck, the print of that big one weighed three pounds before I scanned it and resized it. Now the digital is under a pound.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]No volleyball in Big Mama, but there was a large round white object with Wilson on it. Maybe some Castaway lost it.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I'm counting on you guys to keep giving those fishies some exercise until I get back up there. Then we can renew old acquaintences and take them to "school". [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I had thought we would be up there by this time this year. However, my 85 year old mother is bound and determined to see her 86th birthday...just to outlive my dad by at least a year. She is still in the hospital with a broken thigh, however, and is not doing well. We will keep loving and caring for her as long as she likes Arizona more than getting back together with Dad.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Wow, that is one big fat mama there, it does look like my large mouth, a basketball with a tail. it's even close to to the same weight but a little longer. like you said most walleye that size are around 7 to 8 lbs. my bass is 21in. long 20in. girth 12lbs. 0 oz.

like you said, most walleyes over 24-25in. are most likely a female. I really don't like them over 20in. any more unless I'm going to have one put on my wall. like that 26in. male I caught in prespawn, thats the only way I could tell it was a male because he was skinny and it was still prespawn time. one of these days my friend will mount it. later chuck
[signature]
[shocked][shocked][shocked]Nice WALLEYE ocean!!!!!
[signature]
I have read somewhere that the dwr netted several walleye in utah lake that were close to 16lbs! those are huge, but i wouldnt doubt it! nice fish.

joe
[signature]