Fishing Forum

Full Version: Utah Lake smallmouth??? ??? ??? ???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
From the DWR website (and in the proclamation):

UTAH LAKE - (March 31) Open water. Many anglers seen on the south end of the lake at Sandy Beach and Lincoln beach areas. Reports of some white bass and walleye success by using lures. Note to walleye anglers: The tributaries to Utah Lake are closed to angling March 1 through 6:00 a.m. on May 1. No limit exists on white bass. Largemouth and smallmouth bass limit is six, but anglers must release all largemouth and smallmouth bass over 12 inches. For more information on conditions, call Utah Lake State Park at (801) 375-0731.

The question is, has anyone really ever seen a smallmouth in Utah Lake???? I've caught largemouth sure, but I've never seen or heard of anyone catching a smallmouth in there. The water seems to be too turbid and warm for them there. However, they are in Willard, and it's not that different from Utah Lake, except for it's about twice as deep. So anyone else seen or heard of smallmouth at Utah Lake?
[signature]
i've heard they are in there but i have never personally heard of one caught or caught one myself
[signature]
I have personally caught a smallie while fishing for white bass near some reeds just north of American fork creek. I was very surprised to see a smallie on my lure but then again not too surprised because Utah Lake says it's in there.
[signature]
i have heard of them but never seen one caught, but they may have come from deer creek or maybe illigally introduced. but i have heard of them in there.
[signature]
They are in there. I caught one in 2002 near the mouth of the provo river where the water is slightly clearer. It was right at around 3lbs. Slow-rollin' a white spinnerbait... I also remember hearin' from Clif that a guy caught one in the Lindon boat harbor that was 11 ounces shy of the state record...
[signature]
I caught one in there in 2001. It was a dink though, 13 inches and maybe a pound. I caught it near the state park on the south dike fishing a crawdad imitating lure.
[signature]
Cool guiys thanks for the info. I was just curious.
[signature]