Fishing Forum

Full Version: Lake Powell Water Level
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just got back from a work trip to Southeastern Utah at Navajo Mountain. One afternoon we hiked down from the end of the road to a side canyon of the San Juan River Arm up about 25 miles from the main lake channel. Two years ago you could throw a rock from your vehicle and hit the water. This year the lake in this particular canyon has receeded 1.25 miles from 2002.[mad] Its a whole new reservoir. One good thing about the low water level however, when the lake does rise again in the future, all that new plant growth will create fantastic conditions for the fish.

Didn't get to fish but a guy I work with caught a 7 pound+ largemouth up Ticaboo or Red Canyon out of Good Hope Bay. I will try to get a digital picture of it to post. Headed to Powell the second week of May and can't wait.
[signature]
It is Sad to see how low the lake has gone the last few years, someone read an article that said, if the lake keeps dropping like it has, in three to five years Lake Powell would be empty. I hope things change, it is getting scary with all the low water in Utah. WH2
[signature]
WELL SINCE IT TOOK ONLY 14 YEARS TO FILL IT, IT WOULD TAKE A LOT OF YEARS TO DRAIN IT. THAT ALSO MEANS IT WILL TAKE QUITE A FEW YEARS OF GREAT WATER TO FILL IT AGAIN,

JED
[signature]