Fishing Forum

Full Version: The fish that caught a pole
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is a true story that happened almost sixty years ago. In July of 1946 a group of Ohio fishermen and their families visited Jack's Lake nearApsley, Ontario. The entire group liked the area and the true feel of "roughing it". There were cabins accessed only by boat and the Indian who had them included boats for fishing on the lake. There were no modern conviences just an out house and an ice house. I was a little kid but already hooked on fishing. The Christmas before my dad got me a new fishing pole and a good Shakesphere reel. One day the men decided only adults would go out in the boats. My pole was in the boat with Dad and since they were casting for bass, he put a worm on my hook and dropped it in the water in hopes it would get a nice catfish. A bit later my reel took off and so did my new pole. Dad told the guys he was afraid to come back to land and face me with the loss of my new rig. All of a sudden about 100 feet away near the other boat a good sized bass jumped high out of the water and landed in the boat. The guys said that was the easiest catch they ever had but when they went to measure it they found it was on a hook and line. they pulled and pulled on the line and found it was attached to something. All of a sudden my pole began to emerge from the lake. They said it was on my pole and therfore I got credit for the catch. The small mouth bass was a bit over 2 1/2 pounds but after 60 years I have forgotten the length. That's my fish story for today. The story of the fish who caught a pole. Sometime I'll tell you about the very first fish ssor ever caught.

I hope you like this one it really is true although I have been acussed of it being a tall Texas tale. Windy
[signature]
That is a really good story! I have seen a few rods lost before, but the fish never returned them!
[signature]
yeah tell me about lost a lews custom graphite rod and daiwa reel i still haven't got over the loss
[signature]
Thanks for the kind words. Just to finish the story, that old reel is worn ot but I still have it. Since I am sure both of you will read this I say thanks to both of you.
[signature]