Fishing Forum

Full Version: GOING TO ALASKA
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'M GOING TO ALASKA IN JULY, MY WIFE'S BEST FRIEND LIVES THERE SO WE HAVE TO GO VISIT, HER HUSBAND SAYS THAT HE HAS ALL THE FISHING STUFF I NEED. BEING THE TYPE OF GUY I AM, I THOUGHT THAT I MIGHT TAKE A FEW THINGS WITH ME JUST TO BE SAFE. WE ARE FISHING THE KENAI AND THE RUSSIAN RIVERS AND I HAD HOPED THAT SOMEONE OUT THERE MIGHT HAVE SOME RECOMMENDATIONS AS TO WHAT TYPES OF THINGS MIGHT BE HANDY. THANKS
[signature]
If your staying anywhere near Anchorage your best bet would be to go to sportsmans wherhouse there and ask them to set you up with the proper bait and lures. Selections here are meger at best for salmon and larger species of fish. walmart in Anchorage has a better selection of tackle than any store around here Ive found. But as in Utah dont count on a walmart employee to know to much about what to use. As far as bait ive had great luck with sand shrimp for river salmon.
[signature]
My buddy was on the Kenai at this time last year and he said all they used were very large blue fox vibrax spinners with orange bodies. I've never been there myself, so this is just hearsay.
[signature]
A local tackle shop would be the best bet for info in that area. I've fished the Kenai and some smaller tributaries near Wasilla Alaska which is a couple of hours from Anchorage. We used alot of small spin-n-glows and pixies for the kings with egg yarn trailing off of them. The only thing that I can tell you is that you'll love it. My Alaskian experience exceeded all of my expectatyions.
[signature]
I second the advice to get help from some local, knowledgable folks when you get there in terms of terminal tackle. Depending upon exactly when in July you are going, you may have pink salmon (humpies), sockeyes (coho) or kings available. That means fish from 3 pounds up to 60 or more!

I would be tempted, however, to take two or three of my own reels, with good drags. You're never sure exactly what someone you've never met means when they say, "Don't worry, I have all the equipment." You can stash 2 or 3 reels in your luggage easily and will have them if you need them. Whooee! I'm envious! You should have a terrific time.
[signature]
Thanks everyone for your input, for your reward or punishment which ever it may be I will be posting some great photos upon my return.
[signature]