Fishing Forum

Full Version: Fiberglass boat repair resource
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I found this book at Amazon.com for like $12 +S&H. Runabout Renovation: How to Find and Fix Up an Old Fiberglass Speedboat is the name of it. I borrowed it from my library and will definitely be purchasing a copy for myself. He lists how to repair just about everything on a boat, and talks about inspecting a boat for purchase. All in all, I'd recommend it to anyone who is thinking about taking on repairs to a fiberglass boat.

Topics mentioned include:

Floor repair / replacement

Transom replacement

New Seats

Inspecting used boats before you buy it

How to spot and fix wood rot

How to replace the wooden substructure of the boat

Fiberglass body repairs

Customizing boats (adding livewells, etc)

Painting

And more...
[signature]
They have this boat at the local library where I live as well. As I read it, I got discouraged. It just seemed so difficult. So I'm taking it nice and slow and I've got a friend with fiberglass experience that'll be helping me out.
[signature]
It's great to have handy friends. You can't beat their experience with all the books in the world. Unfortunately, none of my friends have experience with anything to do with fiberglass.
[signature]
My experience with fiberglass goes as far as the pink stuff in a roll. I had a temp job where I was actually glueing the plastic on one side and then piling them up about 10 feet high. Talk about a pain! I was itching like crazy by the end of the day.

Wish my brother was around. He'd fiberglass the boat for me. He's done it on vehicles, he should have no problem with the boat. Of course, he is out of practice.
[signature]