Fishing Forum

Full Version: Free Fishing Days for 2004 in California
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[font "Arial"][size 2]Have you ever felt the excitement of watching your bobber suddenly jiggle, then dive out of sight? Or feeling the tap-tap-tap of a bass as it tastes the worm on the end of your line? Or having a salmon practically tear the rod out of your hands as it smashes your lure? What's that? You say you never learned to fish?

Well, if you're new to the sport of fishing, and not sure if you will enjoy it, we have a great deal for you. The Department of Fish and Game offers two "Free Fishing Days" each year. That's right, you can fish without having to buy a license on free fishing days! They're a great, low-cost way to give fishing a try. Some Department offices even offer clinics on free fishing days! And we have a "Fishing in the City" program where you can go fishing in the middle of major metropolitan areas -- maybe just a block or two from your home! "Fishing in the City" and free fishing day clinics are designed to educate people just like you about fish habits, proven methods of catching fish, and tackle you'll need. You can even learn how to clean and prepare your catch so you can enjoy it for dinner that night!

While all fishing regulations, such as bag and size limits, gear restrictions, fishing hours and stream closures remain in effect; there are two Saturdays each year where anyone can fish without purchasing a fishing license.

For 2004, California's free fishing days are [#990000]JUNE 12TH[/#990000] and [#990000]SEPTEMBER 25TH.[/#990000] [/size][/font]
[signature]

Hey there TubeN2,

On the saltwater scene,

Some of the landings have specials on the 'Free Day'. I've seen 2 for 1 and 1/2 off with full fare pretty often over the last few years. The landings website often have coupons that you would need to take advantage of this day.

Oh ya.... just because it's a free day doesn't mean the usual rules don't apply when it comes to limit, etc. But........Wait a minute... I guess you should be able to use two rods huh!

JapanRon
[signature]
I had suspected that the free fishing day would be 1 of 2 days of the year that I would stay away from Cattle Boats. I figure that everyone and their mother will be out in full force for that day.

I have also found people with licenses that don't respect the size and limit regulations. I found 2 guys at Castaic on Tuesday morning around 4am with 17 rods in the water. They weren't about to give me room to fish from the dock. They were afraid that I would catch all the LMB and not leave them anything to take home.

I went back to the car, made a phone call and in 15minutes, I had all the room I needed. The Sheriff came by and it turned out that they had no licenses and were keeping 8" and 10" LMB. They had a total of 7 bass. It's too bad they were arrested for what they were doing but ignorance can bite you in the bass if you are not carefull.

I ended up catching a 4lb and a 6lb on topwater at the crack of dawn.(released of course)

I'm going back out on Saturday in the float tube. That will keep me out of range of the anglers after the freshly planted Bows they just put in there yesterday morning.

We are going to play with some of the LMB and then we are going to target some of the Kittys that have been reported in there around 40lbs. Those should be fun on a float tube.
[signature]

Hi there TubeN2,

Good job on the police action. You deserve a cash reward for a percentage of their fine. I believe you can collect.

On the free fishing day... I realized and checked with DFG we can fish for species that are not protected which means where you can catch a fish species that otherwise requires a stamp .. you don't need the stamp! Two rods not problem don't need the stamp! Go fishin'

So we license holders do get a bigtime chance during June 12!

JapanRon
[signature]