Fishing Forum

Full Version: need some advice.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey my wife and i and my buddy and his wife are headed out to spend a week in california and my buddy and I are wanting to go out and do some fishing in the ocean and are wondering if anyone has some advice on taking charters or bringing out own gear or leaving it. we are also wondering if anyone has some advice on who to go through for a good price or anything. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We are going to be in both southern and northern california so if there are places that are a lot better than others let us know. We are starting the week down south in sandiego and then are heading north througout the week,

jed Burton
[signature]

Hey there Jedburton,

Glad to be of assistance. I fish the saltwater on local sporties 3 days a week now in southern California, specifically in the Los Angeles/Catalina area.

Check out the saltwater section of this board for a daily round up of how areas are doing generally. Once I know if you're game for our local barracuda, bass, and yellowtail, I can advise you on tackle and the like.

California non-resident licenses ( 1 day-10.50, 2-day, 16.55, 10 day- 32.80) would be required. Do you have experience on head boats or open-party boats? Are you interested in chartering a 6 pak?

A little more detail on your plans would go a long, long way. Be happy to produce some specifics.

My partner TubeN2 is up a little more than me on the northern california ocean fishing scene and I'm sure he would be happy to do the honors of advising you on 'up north' fishing.

JapanRon
[signature]
chartering would be great I just haven't ever done it. There will be at the most 4 of us and probably just my friend and I. I am not sure the wives could handle as much fishing as we can. I would just like to catch as many species as possible and it would be really cool if I can hook up with some bft folks, so if you are up for a fishing trip and want to join us or take us we would love to go. if you want to give me your number I could give you a call or you can call me on my cell phone at if you wanted to talk in person. Anyway I would love to hit as many species as possible if I can,

jed
[signature]

Hi there jedburton,

I'll try to help where I can. I, myself am pretty cautious about giving out phone numbers and you might want to edit your post just to be on the safe side. Even a site with good guys like us have 'not so nice lurkers'. I've got your number and will pass it along to my partner TubeN2 if you erase your number.

For sensitive information you can always PM (private message) me or TubeN2 here on this site.

TubeN2 has gone out on some recent trips so I imagine he'll be along before too long.

Back to business,

I'm with you, I like variety too. Shallow water rock fishing here in so cal will give you a chance to catch 20 different species but they down deeper (200 feet or more).

When you say variety, may I assume you mean major sportfish like barracuda, yellowtail, Calico Bass, White Sea Bass, Halibut?

Have you fished on an open-party boat? and if so, what species have you caught. Open party boats 3/4 day (6AM to 4-7PM) usually cost about $45 per person and the rental rod around $7-$10. 6 pak charters (6 people) often cost $150-$200 per person and UP.

We have landings in Santa Monica (SM Bay), Redondo Beach (SM Bay), and further south in San Pedro, Long Beach, Newport, and Dana Point around my neck of the woods.

If you don't mind posting, I'd like to archive our exchanges so that others may benefit from the scenaro of a visitior needing saltwater fishing info.

Regards,

JapanRon
[signature]
Hey there Jedburton, JapanRon gave you a pretty good price rande that is pretty standard up and down most of the coast. If you have your own gear that you are familiar with, I would suggest bringing at least something out.

Not all of the boats have rental gear so you would be stuck on some and have a helping hand on others.

If you are starting in San Diego, then I would suggest the Blue Horizon. There are other available as well.

We have a forum on this CA board that is for Landings and boat Directories. It has phone numbers and other info.

Where are you going to go in Northern Cal?? That would help so that I can recommend someone that I am personally familiar with.

Please give me as much detail as you can so that I could recommend some kind of consecutive even for you. It would be nice to hook up when you get to the LA area. Nothing is too far for me. Long Beach, San Pedro, Marina Del Rey, Port Hueneme, Ventura or Santa Barbara all have landings withing reasonable fishing areas that could get you some good species.

I will PM you my cell phone # just in case you want to talk in more detail. Please feel free to call any time.
[signature]
It sounds like you had a good time. I hope to meet up with you on your next trip out here or when I go up there to visit. Those cudas can be fun to play with even with the water doggies (sea lions) trying to catch a quick bite to eat as well.

tight lines buddy.
[signature]

Hey there Jed,

Thanks for the reports and hope you had a good time. The Victory is an excellent boat that I would recommend to one and all. Even if someone is a good angler, that doesn't mean they can get the best experience out of a trip. It sounds like you had a good 'first time' experience on a Califonia open-party boat!

There are many good and a few no-so-good boats out there and we'll be happy to be of service to you or your friends in the future.

The bass migration is just going to get better so you'll miss the crazy bite but that's OK too. Too many ways it get crazy! ha ha ha

JapanRon
[signature]
Hey JapanRon

I'm here from Utah also (I believe that's where jedburton is from) and would maybe like to go out on the Victory also before I go home. When is the "crazy" bass bite ??

I met TubeN2 down on Redondo beach one night while he was fishing. Hell of a nice guy. Been here since Oct. think my boss might let me go home the end of July. So I'd like to do it before then.

And I would be a complete "novice" if that helps with your advice...Thanks

Doug
[signature]
i heard some reports today saying that the sandbass and barracuda were just jumping in the boat.

the bass and barracuda get really thick on the huntington flats around the end of june through the end of july or early august.
every boat in the fleet fishes the flats when the fish are spawning so it doesn't really matter which boat you go on. however, like JapanRon said, there are some good boats, and there are some not-so-good boats. i'd go with the boats with the best service:

Monte Carlo(hehe...i work on that one)...22nd Street Landing
Victory... Long Beach Sportfishing Berth 55
City of Seal Beach Long Beach Sportfishing Berth 55
Southern Cal... Pierpoint Landing(long beach)
Premier... Pierpoint Landing(long beach)
Matt Walsh... L.A. Harbor

...all of these boats are in the L.A. Area.

hope this helps.

joe
[signature]
I am hooked, so there may be another trip in the near future for us. My friend and I are trying to find the most cost effective way to get out here again,

jed
[signature]
thanks agian for all of the help ron. If you are ever in my neck of the woods and need some help, let me know,
jed
[signature]
There are always some good deals on Northwest and Southwest Airlines if that is your style. Occasionally they even have 2 for 1 specials.

Amtrak can take a long time as well as the Bus.
[signature]