Fishing Forum

Full Version: Fuji IPS handles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Billy40

Hello Lee. Nice to see you have your own forum. Have you or anyone else used the Fuji IPS reel seats to make a spinning rod handle? I bought the entire kit - seat, pre-cut handle, and locking forgrip, and I'm having trouble getting the cork to fit perfectly into the seat. I'd like to make my own "pre-cut" handle out of cork rings, but I am not sure how to cut the cork stick once it's glued up. Also, how do you sand the cork down - I have the seat edges corvered w/ masking tape, but I 'm wondering if I should sand it by hand or with power.<br><br>Any tips or advice anyone has with these seats is welcome. Thank you, Billy<br><br>

LeeParsons

Hi Billy,<br>I haven't used the seat you are talking about but as for cork sanding and shaping, that I have done a bunch of.<br><br>When working with round cork handles I use a lathe made from a drill motor and shape with 80 grip sand papaer.<br><br>When cutting shapes for inlays, to join different materials or to fit an od shape for the seat, I use several tools. My basic shape I will cut with an exacto and then use small rasps for fast cutting large amounts or cork. Once I am close to the size and shape I'm looking for I will switch to a file then finish off with differing grits of sand paper.<br><br>The files and rasps I picked up at Harbor Freight, they are smaller than the ones I found at the hardware store. I also picked up a small 6" hack saw that I use when cutting cork handles. A good micrometer or calaper is a must when fitting cork to insure a good fit.<br><br><br>Lee<br>Lee's Custom Rods<br>"Quality is the product of crasftsmanship"