Fishing Forum

Full Version: crawdad question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want to get out and catch some crawdads but I need some help. Here is what I have done in the past. I went to Strawberry and tried by the marina and also somewhat near the ladders. I used a chicken leg and threw it out 20' or so. I waited for a while and then pulled it in but without any success. I have heard that Strawberry is a great place to go but it is a big lake. Any tips or directions to a good place? What seems to work the best for you? Does the time of day matter? I was thinking of going Saturday night to catch Sunday dinner.

Thanks in advance,

-el guapo (in need of el helpo)
[signature]
If you have a boat head out from the main marina toward the east (Soildercreek side).. After you enter canyon heading that way there should be a few draws to the north. Try in the draws.. Last year I caught a whole cooler full in one day..

Good luck..
[signature]
go to the soldier creek area, or on the damn, use the same thing you were using, dont throw it out quite so far, 10 or 15 feet should do good. let is sit for a while, and bring it in real slowly. when you get it almost to shore, get a net, or something like that, a bag works good. right right under the chicken liver. if all turns out right, your should catch a ball or craws and if any fall of theyll fall off into the bag
[signature]
i used to tie a leg of chicken on and put iit to were i could still see the leg and watch all the dads come for it at soldier creek side right in the cove right off us40 as you turn to goto the dam ...
[signature]
I have found that technique is most important. Crawdads are all over Strawberry and Soldier Creek and to catch them you have to wade in the water. We use a chicken leg, but we found that if we tossed it out and pulled it straight back to shore, the dads would all jump off by the time the chicken leg made it back. Instead lifting the chicken leg straight u keeps the dads on longer. Also muddying up the water keeps them on too. All of this requires wading. But you can catch up to 10 at a time if you do this.
[signature]
I've never been one with a lot of interest in them little buggers but, I've noted over the year I see them far more often in rocky and sandy bottom areas. I suppose they like the rocks to hide in and around and the sandy bottom makes it easier for them to travel. I know at Scolfield I use to see a LOT of them all along the bank just below the pipe.. Just a thought.
[signature]
I don't know if this is legal but what we used to do when I was a kid. We would take a square of chicken wire, tie a piece of chicken in the middle and rig it so when we pulled it in the chicken wire would wrap around creating a basket.

It should be legal according to the proc.

(2) Crayfish may be taken by hand or with a trap, liftnet, handline, pole or
seine, provided that:
(a) game fish or their parts, or any substance unlawful for angling, is not
used for bait;
(b) seines shall not exceed 10 feet in length or width;
© no more than five lines are used, and no more than one line may have
hooks attached (bait is tied to the line so that the crayfish grasps the bait with
its claw); and
(d) live crayfish are not transported from the body of water where taken.

I would classify this as a liftnet.
[signature]
El Guapo,

To catch the most in the shortest amount of time, go to Soldier Creek at night. Go to the boat ramp with a few chicken legs. Put them 1-2 ft out off the ramp. You can litterally get hundreds in an hour. Great fun for the kids too. While I was fishing last week during the day (about 3 hours) my two kids actually caught over 300 crawdads off the private docks using chub minnows a fishing rod and a net.

Slayerace
[signature]
mmmmmmm!Golly I loves me some good"ol mud buggs and okra...OOOOWWWEEE!
[signature]