Fishing Forum

Full Version: Uintas
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Went for an overnight trip in the Bald Mountain area Friday night. Didn't do much fishing but the mountains were green, the lakes and rivers seemed more full than I've seen in a long time and the skeeters were huge, numerous and relentless. My son was dissappointed by the fact that he didn't catch any fish so I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a lake or lake/river combo that isn't too far (3 or 4 miles max) or too difficult a trail for an 8 year old, that has fast fishing. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Send me a PM if you prefer.

FM
[signature]
Have you had anyone offer help yet? I was just up by wall lake on saterday.
[signature]
I have had good luck fishing Weir Lake in the early fall in years past. I have mostly caught brook trout with an occasional grayling. Weir Lake is a pretty easy 2 1/2 mile hike from the Crystal Lake trailhead.
[signature]
[red][size 3]Good to see your post. Especially about the skeeters. I just found out today that I am hiking a scout group into the Mirror Lake area for a week. Looking over the list of what they told the kids to bring I don't see anything about bug spray - could have been ugly. Your post has saved a million ugly welts and my sanity.
Looking for info on the area I noticed the search engine here has been revamped along with posting options. Everyone check 'em out and Thanx BFT, nice changes.
[/size][/red]
[signature]
Did you get wet Friday afternoon? I was camping at the divide lakes, and about 2:00 a storm hit, couple inches of hail, lightning within 100 yards, and a river running through my tent. I decided that I was to wet to dry out so I packed out.
[signature]
We got "lucky" in that by the time I finally got all the gear together and drove up there we didn't start hiking until 8pm. That way we missed most of the rain but also didn't have much time to fish. In talking to our Scout Master he said they got rained on for 6 hours straight up by Island lake. He also said that two of his boys didn't bring rain gear or water proof tents!

FM
[signature]
Yes, a good strong dose of Deet should be high on the gear list of anyone headed to the backcountry right now. Otherwise you might be in need of a blood transfusion when you get back!

FM
[signature]
fishmagnet

did you talk to a guy form SLC and one from Logan as they past your camp? And a dog tried to take your fish you had on a stringer?
[signature]
Nope, sorry, twasn't me. I saw two guys with a dog but they were the ones with a fish on a stringer.

FM
[signature]