Fishing Forum

Full Version: Just need an ear
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I came by this site totally by accident and thought what the hey I love to fish and do that as much as my time alllows only I lost one of my best fishing partners yesterday. My 18 year old son left for the marines boot camp yesterday. And this mom is not taking it so well. So if anybody out there has any ways to cope with this or has any kind words of wisdom I sure would like to hear them. He is at San Diego and His Graduation date (tentative) is Jan 21,05. Thanks,I do appreciate the ears out there. Chris's Mom
[signature]
Hey fishinmama welcome to BFT! You'll find a lot of great friends here. Take heart and be proud of your son -- we appreciate all that he will be doing for our freedom and our country. Pray to God for his safety and everything will be fine.

If you like fishing, you've come to the right place. There are a few other fisherwomen on this board besides you, and they feel right at home too. There are also a few in the military that frequent this site, especially the Utah board I believe. Anyway, good luck with your son. Remember fishing can be very theraputic!
[signature]
[Image: Welcome.gif]To the site its a good place to be we can only hope that the Iraq war has slowed down by the time your son graduates and pray that God watches over him and all the men and women in Iraq
[signature]
Thank you for your kind words, they help more than you could ever know. I would love to go fishing right now however mother nature has other ideas, 40 windy and wet. Just waiting for the ice to form now. I am afraid that might take a while, maybe this weekend we can try for some "eyes" might just be what the doc ordered. Thanks again and happy fishing.[Smile]
[signature]
My brother in law has been serving in fallujah since aug. You are not alone in your thoughts about all of our soldiers over there. My two greatest coping tools are: Faith and prayer.. God bless.
[signature]
well , i know it may seem hard being apart from your son , but try to focus on the fact that you did the finest job a parent can do . you raised a young man that any parent would be proud to call their own . he's grown up and is making the choise to serve his country , protect the people he loves and to become a fine leader and example to others upon completion of his dutys in the service . i have several marine nephews and neices on active duty right at this moment in time , one neice and her husband are both marines and new parents , he is in iraq and she is awaiting orders . my sister and brother in law are selling there home and moving just outside my neices base to raise there grandaughter untill there return .
take heart in knowing you are not alone in your feelings , we all feel the same during these troubled times .
may god bless your family and keep your son safe from harm , tell him from all of us here that were damed proud of him .
you did a fine job fishingmama, thats a young man i'de be glad to get to know and call my friend .
[signature]
If you ever need an open ear, feel free to e-mail me or send me a PM. Heck, you're just across the border somewhere. Maybe before the ice forms on the lakes we can get together and your youngest son can show me how to catch fish!
[signature]
Bearclaw, Thank you for keeping everyone in your prayers, every night I think of our troops over there, my sister returned home in March and my son-in-law is on the list to go, but we don't know when yet. As a mother I just want to protect him. Thank you for listening. fishinmama
[signature]
lonehunter, thank you for responding to my post and making me really realize that there are those who have to deal with even more stress than I do. I cried when I read your post for that poor baby and will pray extra hard for her/his family. My son is only in boot camp but that poor mother who has to leave her baby, I couldn't imagine what that would feel like. Thank you for the reality check. fishinmama
[signature]
Hey, DDR- (that is so much easier to type)- that was probably the nicest thing anybody has offered since my boy has been gone. Thank-you! I'll have to check with my man on that fishin-sounds like fun. You don't know what you are gettin yourself into if you ask our 6 year old to show you how to fish. He takes all that really serious. Thanks for your support. It means a lot. fishinmama
[signature]
it was hard on the father too , but both parents are eager to do there part in service to their country , just like your young man is doing . funny , we raise the kids to be able to handle anything life throws at them and nobody has come up with training for us parents to let them do it .
you will still feel the pain and emptyness you feel now ,fear of the unknown is something we all must deal with during times like these . as time goes on you will gain strength in each one of his accomplishments and the fear will diminish somewhat ,( as a parent i would be foolish to say the feer feeling ever goes away ) .
pick a day or two a week and write that young man of yours about what is happining in the home and around the neighborhood , give him some family news (any event large or small ) and keep it as positive as you can . . there's nothing like a letter from home for our service men and women, it's the closest thing they have to being there . it will make there lives so much better just knowing you are there with them in spirit .
one more thing , his new marine buddies will be as close as brothers to him , your family is going to increase a couple dosen or more. i hope you are ready for the additional sons and daughters .
keep us updated as to his progress , and keep in touch with us hear wether your having a good or bad day . our service people and their familys are not shunded or scorned , we take pride in them and the sacrifices they are making for us and we will always have an ear for bending whenever you need it .
we thank you for raising such a fine lad , i don't know him and i'm already proud of him , tell him i said that too.
your pal , lonehunter
[signature]
lonehunter, you have a voice of wisdom. Thank you very much. I write everyday,even though I don't have an address yet. I have 8 letters right now ready to be sent. They say it takes about 10 days from the time he left until you get the frist letter he'll write, I am trying to wait patiently. Chris will think that it is so cool that I am on a message board, and I have already told him about you and the others. If you know any clean, short jokes send them my way and that will help fill the paper up. Thanks
[signature]
try looking in the fishing jokes forum on our boards , i'm sure there will be a few chuckels to be found on it .
not meaning to pry but , what lakes or rivers do you two fish ? i'm the upper half of the mit (michigan). steelhead and salmon are my passons when it comes to fishing the rivers . on the lakes just about any kind of fish makes for a good time outdoors .
[signature]
lonehunter, are you looking for WI fishing hot spots? I guess I could share some of that info with you, as there doesn't seem to be too many Wisconsinites on the boards. We like to fish the Mississippi, (We like in West Central WI), the Black River, (though we just started that this summer and could use some pointers) Potters flowage, multiple cranberry bogs, Webb lake is our favorite spot right now, however it is 3 hours away. There are some little Lakes around the area, most of which only have local names and are not on the maps. I have never fished either Lake Michigan or Lake Superior. As a young girl my father took me smelting and that was a lot of fun. But I have never caught a salmon or anything that big. I have heard if you do catch one then it spoils you for the fight of other fish so and I don't want to spoil that.
[signature]
hope this helps, things are not all doom and gloom over there..
[signature]
Davetclown, Thank you!!! what great photos. They really touched my heart. Makes it a little easier knowing that other people out there are really concerned and caring. It is so hard to imagine what it is like to be in the Armed forces, not just in Iraq but everywhere. That poor child in the soldiers arms, is the soldier crying, did that child lose her life or perhaps her parents. War is so horrible. I wish that the people responsible for war could do so in a fashion that the innocents would not have to suffer, on a deserted island somewhere perhaps. On a lighter note, my son called last night at 2230, saying hi mom hows' it going. He says he likes bootcamp, and he's doing good. Of course he woke us up and I didn't think to ask why he got to call only that he did and I was talking to him. I pray that this occupation is over soon. God Bless all.
[signature]