Fishing Forum

Full Version: Snow mobil on scolfield?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is the ice thick enough for a machine on the ice at Scolfield? Do you really need a machine to take you out, or is the walk just a little one to all the fish everyone is talking about? I was thinking of going on tues. if any one is interested.

Bart
[signature]
Haven't been up there personaly in a couple of weeks but the DWR is recomending leaving your machines home untill the weather turns colder again. Some areas have had slush on the ice durring the days.
Last week most of the ice was about 10" and I took my 4 wheeler out on it . Found some ice over by island that was only 5" to 6" thick . Lots of machines on the ice last weekend . Didn't find it any faster fishing by moving around , but I got away from the crowds .
[signature]
I had my wheelers out there the last two weekeends, Two weeks ago fine about 5.75 inches of ice last weekend 6.75 inches of ice where i fish although last weekend there were some sluchy spots we got into coming out at about 2:30 is was about 45 degrees when we left. So yes you will be fine in my opinion and the sled has more contact with the Ice then a wheeler distributing the weight. They say 4 inches of clear ice will hold a snowmobile.
[signature]
[cool]Arrowheadsaver, you'll be fine with a snowmobile. However, to answer your other question, you don't have to go far out there to find the fish. You can find a good fishin' hole from about 50-100 yards off shore in 10-15 ft of water. Good luck.
[signature]
Here is a report from the Doug Miller site, he was fishing it last weekend.
"Scofield Reservoir is a sea of safe ice most of it around ten inches thick now and plenty safe for travel on a 4wheeler or snowmobile."
[signature]
Thanks for the reports. I will probably be up there on Tuesday on a old blue Polaris Apallo snomobile in a homade Black ice tent that looks like the frabills that pull over your head. I will have a yellow jiffy power auger sitting next to the tent if anyone wants to come over.
Thanks again
Bart
[signature]
we were up today.
wife and i on a 4 wheeler pulling a fish trap-no problems-lots of trails already.
our ice was 11".
could see some "melt" on the shoreline from previous slush.
quit the ducks already?[Wink]
nice job with the youth deal-my sincere compliments
frank
[signature]