Fishing Forum

Full Version: Mantua?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Did anyone go to Mantua today, if so how'd ya do?
[signature]
[cool]Yeah, I was wondering the same thing, and...did anybody go through the ice, or any reports of others doing that? CBR and I decided against it (for obvious reasons) and went up to Strawberry again.
[signature]
how did you too do at the berry?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I checked it out. The slush from yesterday froze to the top of the ice enough to walk on it. Several people trying to get on the ice got wet legs including Predator but no one to my knowledge fell through once they made it on to the ice. Conditions sucked and so did the fishing; even with bait.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I did not see very many fish on the ice at all for the amount of people there. If you decided not to go, don't feel like you missed anything. Predator's Dad caught the most fish of anyone I saw and he caught 6-8 perch and a 20" trout. I believe most people did worse than that.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]How did you or BearLakeFishGuy do after we separated? [/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
We both left. He had to be home at 11:30.
[signature]
Mantua / Porcupine Bust
Being one of the first on the ice at Mantua didn’t pay off this morning. At 6:00 the slush layer had not froze enough to hold you up so ever step went through. At 8:00 around sunrise the slush layer had froze enough that it would hold you up. There were a lot of people standing around waiting for their pole to get a hit. I met up with BearLakeFishGuy, Predator and BearLakeMac. Fished with them for awhile manage to catch one perch, lose my hook on another hit and miss two other hits. The first 3 step on to the ice were the tricky one after that the ice was OK, you just had to keep from finding old holes.
I left Mantua around 11:00 to check out Porcupine. Most of the lake is caped except or a small opening in the middle. The ice by the dam was not accessible I saw several eager fisherman trying to figure out how to get past the first 3 ft. I drove up to the boat ramp and found two others fishing about 20 ft out. I wandered out and drilled several holes a crossed the lake. The ice was around 4 inches thick. I fish in 10 to 20 ft of water I was unable to even mark any fish and the Vexilar. I only fished for just over and hour then I left for home to catch up on my sleep.
Next week should be better access to the ice and the fishing can only improve. I think maybe all give it another try then.
[signature]
[reply]
[size 1]After I do a preview of a post it dose not post anything. Any clue why? [/size]

[/quote]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Paul, I have seen this before but don't know why it happens. The last site upgrade had something to do with it I think. If you preview a post, you might want to copy it to your clipboard first. Sorry, I can't help any more than that.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Thanks for the conditions report on Porcupine. If this cold will hold access should improve and like you said, so should the fishing on those two ponds.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Lucky for me I type most post in MS word before copying it over to the board. I’ll see if I can’t pay closer attention to what I’m doing and get it to duplicate some time.
[signature]
I didn't do any better than the other BFT boys out on Mantua. I ended up with 3 perch, one bass about 12" and one rainbow that was the most beautiful rainbow I think I have ever seen. It was 16". I fished from about 8:15 to 11:15. It was fun watching people get wet. The most fish I caught were only about 10 yards out from shore in about 8' of water. I fished all over with BLM, Predator, Pred's Dad, and Fishingwaters. It was indeed a slow day. What I'm really interested in is how any of the guys did who were fishing around Bluegill bay across the way. That is where I really wanted to fish, but with an open pocket of water in the middle and scary ice conditions all over, it wasn't possible to make the hike across and I didn't have time to fish on the east side of the lake. It has GOT to get better. I know the bluegills are in there! Once the ice gets thicker I would bet there will be some good days to be had at Mantua this season!
[signature]
[size 1]"It was fun watching people get wet."[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]Hey Scott, good to see that I am not the only one with a warped sense of humor (as long as no one got anything hurt any more than their pride).[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1][/size]
[signature]
Mantua....

Naaaaa, I think I will hit the bear again this weekend! Ice fishing is great but my pond is still open water. I think I will long line a few cutts and some whites off cisco beach. A guy can hope ... right....?

I plan to hit Mantua later in the season and hook up on the perch for some taco/ceviche feeds!
[signature]
i fished it today as well, but i didnt get there untill 12.00 the fishing sucked for me and my friend as well. i caught one cutthroat 17" and my bud caught a 3 inch rainbow!!! can you beleive that 3 inches! i fished near the inlet and the ramp sucky... didnt fall thru the ice though that is good!!
[signature]