Fishing Forum

Full Version: Cache Valley?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Wondering if ice conditions have changed on any of the cache Valley ponds. I've heard a little about Hyrum but what about Porcupine, or Newton?
[signature]
Fishingwaters was up at the pig (porcupine) on New Years Day, and he said the ice was unsafe near the dam, but he was able to get out on the ice near the boat launch. As far as Newton goes, there might not be many fish left in there! They've really been abused by the drought up there.
[signature]
I was afraid that was the case with newton. How about any updated info on Hyrum?
[signature]
Hyrum Dam is still wide open. Haven't much ice forming anywhere. If there was any yesterday it had to have been blown off with the major wind we had last night.
[signature]
What is ICE? I don't think we have any safe ice in the valley!
[signature]
I was so anxious to cut a hole in some ice that I closed the door and opened the window in the bathroom. Two days later I had to explain to a plumber how I damaged the toilet with an auger.

On a more serious note, First Dam froze over in the first of December when it was really cold. But by the time school was out there was hardly any ice left.

I kind of thought First Dam was supposed to freeze over later than the others if at all - but then I realized that being so small it won't take long to freeze; it just needs colder weather.
[signature]
When we have a normal water year there is usually a lot more water going over fist dam. The last several years have allowed first dam to freeze easily due to the reduced flow.
[signature]