Fishing Forum

Full Version: Sunday evening was the ticket at Willard...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Wiperhunter2 and I decided to hit the water Sunday afternoon and see if we could latch on to a few wipers. We launched at about 3:00 pm and headed over to the isand and made a few passes around the bouy seing if the fish were in the area. No go, three passes and no hits. We started by trolling a variety of lures including Producter prism shad and emerald Rattlin' Raps.

After no luck on the island we headed over to the feed lot and trolled the area around the feed lot to the east dike. We varied our depths but only managed one fish on the emerald Rattlin' Rap. We talked to another fisherman and asked how he was doing. He had picked up two fish near the light pole and had seen a little surface activity so we decided to reel in and head over to the west dike and light pole area. The water as perfectly calm and no wind; just a nice day for fall fishing.

It was amazing at how many diferent types of birds were on the water. The usual grebes, sea gulls, and terns were there but several species of ducks, who were hiding from the likes of Predator; this being the opening weekend of the duck hunt, in large groups in the open water. Canadian geese were also active and could be heard as they flew overheard.

As we trolled the south along the west dike the sun was starting to set behind the Promotory Mountains. I notice that the white egrets were hunting along the dike and I saw wipers in close feeding on shad they had herded into the shallows. We hurriedly reeled in out rods and decided to try some casting along the dike. While I was reeling in I notice my rod, which had a side planar on it, felt like it had more weight than it should of. Well, to our surprise, I had hooked a 1 1/2 lb catfish while trolling a producer!

Wiperhunter2 dropped the electirc motor and we started working the shoreline casting producer prism shads close to the rocks. It didn't take long before we started hooking up on smaller wipers but hey, wipers are wipers and there's nothing like catching even the teenagers on the cast! We continued this until we could no longer gage our casts to keep from casting our lures into the dike's riprap.

As we headed back to the south marina, with the faint red glow of the sunset showing above the westward mountains and it's reflecting colors on the calm water, both myself and WH2 commented on the most remarkable ending for this day.

We followed the new solar power beacon recently installed in the entrance south marina. The beacon is a nice addition for anyone who has tried to find the mouth of the marina in the black of night. Our only complaint is that the beacon should not of been place by the ramps but on the dike just outside the entrance of the marina. We ended up with 9 wipers and a nice fat catfish. A very worth while day indeed!
[signature]
Sounds like a nice trip BLM. An 11 1/2 pound catfish?!?! I would hope your pole felt like it had more weight. I can't believe your side planer stayed afloat. Thats the biggest cat I've heard come out of willard this year!

Thx for the report
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]That is one and one half pounds. I wish eleven and one half pounds! You are exactly right, the side planar would of disappeared and I'd of had the best fight of the night on my hands![/size][/font]
[signature]
ooppsssss, sorry about that. All the acronyms from the military makes it hard to read simple things[Wink]
[signature]