Fishing Forum

Full Version: East Canyon
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Went to East Canyon last Friday.As we came up to the dam there was nothing but open water.We kept goin down to the south end and found ice on the last mile of the lake...about 6 inches of good hard ice.Tried whatta crickets with waxies and salmon eggs.They'd mouth it but not very serious.Switched to just a plain #10 salmon egg hook covered with waxies and eggs and proceeded to slay the slimers.Caught 20 between two of us from 10" up to 18".Some had marks others were totally clean.Also caught one koke.Great day.Saw eagles,deer and plenty of turkeys.Also heard coyotes yippin all morning.Headin back up this Friday for more....hopefully!If you don't want to ice fish go launch your boat!
[signature]
A koke? It's been years since anyone has caught, or seen one in there. Did the DWR plant them again?? If it's true, it would be nice to have another lake with Kokes in it that is close to home.
[signature]
It was a koke for sure.I remember when you could watch them spawn up the creek years ago.Don't know what happened to em all though.I'm still waiting for one of those tiger trout I heard they put in there.Anybody caught any of those yet??
[signature]
[cool]Nice report, and, welcome to BFT/Utah!
[signature]
Is there only access to East Canyon from Ogden canyon right now?

Wouldn't mind practicing some catch and release but its a bit of a drive from Sandy.
[signature]
I don't think they've planted any Kokes in there...probably just a straggler. They don't survive becuase of all the nitrates from the golf courses in PC. It drives the oxygen out of the lower levels of the lake, so the fish are stuck up high, and the Kokes can't live in the warmer water during the summer. I can't believe the state lets them get away with all of that pollution. They need to force them to clean the river before it gets into East. Oh well.
[signature]
Curious to know how hard it was to get on and off the ice with out getting wet. Don't want to do that again.
[signature]
Thanks for the report, its great news to hear there are still some Kokanee in there. How deep were you fishing when you caught it? WH2
The day we were there it was no problem at all.The ice was pushed up a little along the bank so we were able to get off and on easily.There was no snow on the ice so that got a little tricky when you mixed in a little water from your hole on top of that.I think this last storm took care of that little problem though.
[signature]
We were fishing in 25 ft of water off of a rocky point.Our baits were sitting about a foot and a half off the bottom....very light bites until we got rid of the jigs.
[signature]
Hey slimerslayer! Wassup. Try Rockport by the inlet. My boys had a riot, and even mentioned you once or twice.
[signature]