Fishing Forum

Full Version: Our government at work
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I realize that this post comes from UOTF and some of us are still a bit irate with them over there, but the issue (if the author is correct) is an important one in my mind and deserves our attention. If anyone on our board knows more about this legislative action, let me know. The post............

Politics as Usual ...
Think poaching is a bad idea?

On Monday--in a surprise move--a couple of state legislators on the Natural Resources Appropriations Subcommittee recommended significant cuts to the DNR enforcement budget.

Specifically, the budget recommendation called for taking monies allocated for enforcement--$210,000 from DWR and $299,700 from Parks & Recreation--to fund other programs (some DNR programs, but mostly agricultural programs). What this likely means is that DWR will have to fire four Conservation Officers (CO's) and Parks will have to fire six COs. Almost all of these cuts can be expecte to occur in rural areas.

The most likely explanation for this is that a couple of rural legislators have a personal gripe with state-employed COs and the way they've enforced the law in the past, and this is a way to stick it to DNR and limit its enforcement capabilities.

The only way that this doesn't become law is if the Executive Appropriations Committee rejects the subcommittee's recommendations and decides to restore funding or, alternatively, finds a different revenue source (an unlikely prospect).

At this stage in the game, the only effective way to weigh in on this issue is if you either know a member of the Executive Appropriations Committee personally or live in the District of a member of that Committee. (I've listed those legislators below.) If either of those descriptions fit you, and you subscribe to the radical notion that conservation laws should actually be enforced, please contact that legislator and encourage them to restore funding for DWR and Parks & Recreation enforcement.

Here are the legislators on the Executive Appropriations Committee:

Rep. Ron Bigelow, Co Chair
Sen. Lyle W. Hillyard, Co Chair
Sen. Curtis S. Bramble, Vice Chair
Rep. David Clark, Vice Chair
Rep. Jeff Alexander
Sen. Ron Allen
Rep. Ralph Becker
Rep. Greg J. Curtis
Sen. Gene Davis
Sen. Mike Dmitrich
Sen. Dan R. Eastman
Sen. Beverly Ann Evans
Rep. Ben C. Ferry
Sen. Karen Hale
Rep. Patricia W. Jones
Rep. Brad King
Sen. Peter C. Knudson
Rep. Rosalind J. McGee
Rep. Stephen H. Urquhart
Sen. John L. Valentine
[signature]

Here is a link to the minutes of the meeting in question. It does appear that there are legitimate concerns. Click on minutes of Feb. 7

le.utah.gov/asp/interim/Commit.asp?Year=2005&Com=APPNRA
Here is a link to an article in the Tribune today. it is very informative. Look at the list of possible state park closures. Do any of you fish these spots? I think this issue should concern us all!

www.sltrib.com/utah/ci_2562219
[signature]
If any body likes to hunt or fish in this state we need to stop this cut from going throu .
[signature]
I listened to KSL last night during thier talk to the governor hour and huntsman talked a little about these cuts.
Didnt sound to me like he was going to do much about it.
Sure glad I didnt vote for that guy.
[signature]
I know what you mean, I didn't vote for him either, yet we are still stuck with him. I think the sportsmans best chance at modifying this policy is in the legislative executive session or the general session. I think many local representatives would be responsive to their constituents complaints about the park closures. For instance, if East Canyon was closed, I don't imagine the people and businesses of Morgan would be too happy with their representatives that allowed it to happen. If we write our representatives, we might be able to make a difference here. I don't see this as a liberal or a conservative issue, just a sportsmans, boaters, and outdoor enthusiasts issue.
[signature]
after reading a couple articles, it seems pretty clear - your utah senator is a dirty p.o.s. poacher, and he got caught with his bro, now he wants to stick it to them . . . too bad we dont run people out of town on a rail anymore

sm
[signature]
Southernman, I agree with your asessment, but beyond the personalities involved, it is just bad public policy and especially bad for us sportsmen. Here is another article discussing the park closure aspect of the budget cuts.

[url "http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,600111553,00.html"]http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,600111553,00.html[/url]
[signature]
i totally agree, it seems stupid that a state known for its variety of quality outdoor activities would cut everything back . . .
sm
[signature]