Fishing Forum

Full Version: Lures to catch BASS!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone,

I thought I would share some of my most productive lures that I use for catching largemouth and smallmouth bass. These have worked in winter, spring, summer, and fall. I took these pictures myself[cool].

[inline srr.jpg]

This lure is a Rapala D-10 crankbait. I have caught over 20 largemouth bass on it alone this winter. I've been fishing a power plant lake that has alot of rocks in it. I've casting it into 3-4 feet of water and let it crawl around over the bottom and once it would hit a drop off, I would pause the bait and they would hit it everytime. Last Sunday I caught and released a 5 1/2 pound bass with that retrieve.

[inline sjig.jpg]
One of my favorite lures to use is a jig. I use either a 1/4 ounce or a 3/8 ounce jig. My favorite colors are black and blue, black, and pumpkin seed. I always put a trailer on that resembles a crawfish, or something that looks crazy enough to work. Pitch this into holes in weed beds in the summer and hang on! Dont forget to try it around lay downs and standing timber. Usually (around here anyways) you will almost always catch a 2+ pound bass on a jig, it seems bass any smaller than that are scared off when a jig comes by. Techniques I use are swimming it and dragging it along the bottom with short hops. Most bass will hit it on the initial fall.

[inline stube.jpg]

[inline sworm.jpg]
The lures that I can count on the most are a tube and a worm. These will work wonders in the spring and also in the summer. In the spring try fishing them around old weed beds from year before and also around flats, where bass will be moving into to spawn. In the summer look for weed beds. I fish my tubes and worms with a 1/8 ounce UNPEGGED sinker with a 3/0 hook. I only peg the sinker if I'm planning on fishing it on the bottom. I like it unpegged for the simple fact that if I'm fishing around weedbeds and timber, it has a spiral like fall that will drive bass crazy.

[inline stopwater.jpg]
And the funnest lure to fish for bass is definetly any topwater lure. This lure is a Spit'n Image. You can "walk the dog" with this lure and it draws vicious strikes! I've found it to work better on cloudy days with a little chop on the water. I have actually caught bass on it just letting it sit in the water, not giving it any action. Another productive topwater lure is a Pop'R.

Thats all for now! Get out there and catch a big one!
[signature]
thanx good ta knowill give those a try next time im out fishin im goin tomorrow soo ill give them a try
[signature]
Thanks for the detailed information. How-to instructions with pictures are always helpful to anglers like me who are new to bass fishing. Great stuff!
[signature]
Bassmaster, were you the one telling me about using senko worms?
[signature]
How can we not include the senco? [crazy] I swear by those worms. Maniac has some that last alot longer as well.
[signature]
Hey Bassmaster, remember "the worm". I still have a couple of these and they still work great!!!
[signature]
In-Fisherman has a great article on worming this month. If you don't get it then pick one up.
[signature]
Bassmaster, thanks for the great advice! I've never fished a jig for bass before. Definitely going to give it a try! What kinds of weeds are you talkin' about throwing it into?
[signature]
Hey man I just remembered a certain crankbait when I was younger fishing out by our cabin. The lake I fished had tons of walleyes and northerns but hardly any bass. But I would usaually catch bass on a #5 medium diver in charteuse made by rapala. I always threw this crankbait in the middle of this weed bed and about every 20th cast or so you'd pull in a nice largemouth. This lasted until a northern decided to get greedy and tear it off one day[pirate].
[signature]
Very good Bassmaster! You do need a variety of baits with you. Because you never know for sure what will work the best, untill you get there, and figure out a pattern. I love to fish a rubber hackle jig and pork in the early spring for largemouth. I also never go bass fishing without a good selection of plastic grubs, tubes, small drop shot worms and salted stick worms. This season you might wan't to try your senko's or stick worms on a drop shot rig, split shot or carolina rig. I have found the stick shaped worms to be very effective fished this way. And of course don't forget to try a wacky rig, when the fish are shallow, or suspended. Using a O-ring around the mid section of your senko's,or any of your heavily salted baits when wacky rigging, will help to prolong the life of your bait! Good luck and good fishing!
[signature]