Fishing Forum

Full Version: What's the ugliest fish you've ever caught?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What's the ugliest fish you've ever caught? I remember I was snapper fishing on a reef one time and caught this fish that litterly looked like a pile of dog poop with fins and teeth. [laugh] I never did find out what kind of fish it was, good thing it didn't smell how it looked. You should have seen me taking that monstrosity off the hook!
[signature]
[Tongue][font "Poor Richard"][size 3][#005000]If you watch these fishing shows apparently there is no such creature as an ugly fish. Have caught a few flounders in my day - can't say that I ever thought of nailing one of those dudes to my den wall.[/#005000][/size][/font]
[center][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=8584;][/center]
[signature]
By far the ugliest, I have personaly caught

Ratfish:
[Image: Spotted-ratfish-01.jpg]

[Image: pacific-ratfish.jpg]
[signature]
[center][Tongue][/center][center][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]Hey there 2nakiller - that sucker is kind of cute.[/size][/green][/font][/center]
[signature]
For me it wpould have to be the searobin. They say the head taste like lobster, but I won't try it.[crazy]
[signature]
That is a cute little guy. We have something like that on the west coast. If I catch one, I will post it up here.[cool]
[signature]
I've gotta admit that the pictures don't do it justice, and it does look like a cute little sucker...
But to see one of those slimey things squirming all over the deck, I was pretty grossed out. the biggest one we got was about 3 pounds.
We caught them in Sitka Alaska, while Halibut fishing, but I believe they range from Alaska to the Pacific Northwest, I never saw them in Socal. and I just grabbed the photos from the web.
[signature]
I have seen some off of one of the fishing boats. It was a few years ago and just north of Pt. Concepcion.[cool]
[signature]
Some of you may take offense to me saying this, but I believe the common carp is pretty detestable. Where they live, what they eat, and how dumb they appear to be compared to other fish--all add to their contemptibleness and, therefore, their ugliness, in my humble opinion.

I know they are one of God's creatures and should, therefore, not be considered trash fish and worthless--and I know that they're a much revered and sought-after food source in other parts of the world. They're even fairly fun to catch.

But when compared to the various species of game fish (e.g., bass, trout, walleye, etc.) that we have here in Utah--the common carp is short on beauty and long on ugly.
[signature]
Sorry, I've been scanning the various message board on this site and forgot this is the "Saltwater Fishing" board. Just for the record, I've never caught a common carp in salt water.

Please excuse my stupidity for posting my previous response on this "salty" board.[blush]
[signature]
for me its the atlantic clearnose skate then afish we call an oyster cracker don't know the real name then in 3rd would be searobbins
[signature]
well let me see catfish like flatheads them big ugly fellers.[pirate]

THANK GOD FOR FISHERMEN
[signature]
Scorpion Fish.
[signature]
Scorpion fish? Aren't those poisonous?
[signature]
Yep! You don't want to touch one. They'll put a real hurting on you.
[signature]