Fishing Forum

Full Version: Hawa'i' Surf rods
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

gvanzant

Can anyone describe to me the construction of those long rods the Hawai'i natives use for shore fishing for a fish called an Ulua (I think that's the spelling) The rods look to be about 14 feet in length and the reels they use are 4/0 types spooled with #60 pound mono with 10 feet of #100 to 200 pound test leader. The fish are humongous and average #50 pounds and are caught to 120 pounds....from the beach. George
[signature]
now there's a tuogh one

I am not a rod builder but have seen the rods you speek of on varoius programs about surf fishing.

I wonder where this search will take me...[blush]

be back as soon as I find something. or sooner if some one beets me to the punch.
[signature]
see if this is the one you are talking about,

from what I can find is that this rod is a costum made rod manufactured by

[#ff0000][size 2][url "http://www.mkhouse.com/rodspecs.htm"]Kimura of Hawaii[/url] [#ff0000][size 1](link)[/size][/#ff0000][/size][/#ff0000]

[url "http://www.mkhouse.com/rodspecs.htm#Ulua"][font "Arial"][#000080][size 3]Ulua/Shorecasting Rods[/size][/#000080][/font][/url] [#ff0000](link)[/#ff0000]

[#ff0000][size 2][/size][/#ff0000]
[signature]

gvanzant

Thanks davetclown. It would be interesting to see a
13 1/2 foot surf rod that fishes #60 lb. They even have a one piece graphite which must cost a fortune. Anyway thanks for the lead, maybe someday I'll get to watch those guys but I have said that about 2000 pound sturgeon, bonefish, 900 pound bluefin etc, and so far I have never left Long Beach. George
[signature]

Milo

Hey George,

Call Seeker fishin rods. I know that they make a couple of blanks called the Ulua. I have seen one that was 10 foot but they may have something longer than that. If I recall correctly, the 10 footer was rated 30-60...I think.

GOod luck.
[signature]

gvanzant

Hey Milo: How about one of those on the Horseshoe where we slaughtered the Calicos. Let's go, it's about time and the squid are near. George
[signature]

Milo

[Smile]I'm ready!!! Let me know when you wanna go!!!
[signature]