Fishing Forum

Full Version: Accident Or Ticking Time Bomb
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[center][font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Accident [/size][/font][/center] [center][font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Or Ticking Time Bomb[/size][/font][/center] [center][font "Times New Roman"][size 3]You Decide [/size][/font][/center] [center][size 3][font "Times New Roman"][/font][/size][/center] [left]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]April 23, 2005 the vary next day after Earth Day, Buyers Duck Farm is plagued with a most unpleasant smell of diesel fuel when one of the ladies (Debbie) working in the country store shows up for work around 11:45 am this Saturday morning.[/size][/font]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"][/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Smelling the fuel she walks around the historical site to see that the congregated ducks have left the area but not seeing any thing out of the usual she opens up shop. [/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Local Master Angler (Dave T. Clown) arrives to the park shortly after and notices the smell and dreads the worst. A spill in the river! As he walked up to the river his fears were confirmed when he saw rainbow color of diesel fuel shinned across the river flowing down the Clinton River connecting to the Huron River. [/font][/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=9258;]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Adrenalin rushing he looks up the Clinton River as far as the bridge to see the fuel flowing from an area where he knew that there containers of fuel being stored. Rather than attempting to find the source on his own he went to the Buyers Country Store barn to see if they had yet to call the police and contact hazmat officials to report this problem. [/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]The source could have come from any where from an accident on the corner to old fuel tanks that were stored under ground from fuel stations that once resided on that corner. To look for the source on your own can be dangerous, you never know if it could be a buried tank that had given way under ground making walking over a physical risk.[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]The Shop owner did not know what procedures to follow when this problem arises; was encouraged to call the police. [/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]The Oakland County Police department showed up in minutes after receiving the call looked in to the river and saw the oil flowing in the river called the Commerce Township Fire Department who showed up with in minutes and investigated until they had found the source of the fuel.[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]The Fire Department was able to trace the source to 125 West Commerce Rd of Commerce Township. The foundation that once held a 250-gallon fuel oil tank once used to heat the local drug store on the corner of Commerce Rd and South Commerce Rd had given way allowing the fuel oil tank to fall in to the river just inches away from its upright position.[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]The Fire Department managed to get in an upright position and tied it to a tree to temporarily hold the tank up in a position where it would not be leaking.[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]After allowing the fire department to do their job, I went over and took the pictures [/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=9259;]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=9260;][/left] [left]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=9261;][/left][size 3][font "Times New Roman"][/font][/size] [center][font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font][/center]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"][/font][/size] [center][font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Note the fuel line was bent in order to contain the leak.[/size][/font][/center]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]This can happen in any community, there are literally thousands if not hundreds of thousands of old tanks lying around containing fuel. The hazard arises when lines are severed or support legs give way or in this case just washed in to the river.[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Personally I view these situations as ticking time bombs because they are known about but and are over looked and in many cases just plain ignored because when their service was changed over they did not pay to have the old fuel delivery system drained and have the tank removed.[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]So in this case whom do we blame? It is my belief the persons who changed over the fuel oil system to natural gas when it came through whom by the way incidentally has long been retired or passed away leaving this legacy to fall prey on future generations. [/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]With out a doubt we live in the now generation, and 50 – 100 years ago so did our parents and grand parents and in many cases now great grandparents. Not worrying about what will happen 50 years from now because (I can still hear those words uttered from the mouth of a generation older than mine) “fifty years from now who will care” [/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]It has been at least 50 years since the drug store was changed over and the world did not come to an end and people still live here and that oil drum is still there with fuel still in it and is now leeching in to my fishing hole not to mention headed down river towards to soon be newly hatched ducks and many other species of animals who use that water way for its life’s food and water source.[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]My complaint is not so much for this one incident but for the entire lack of respect for our children and grand children. Who knows what is still sitting out there ticking away towards the time when it plagues humanity and the quality of life in which we so much enjoy.[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]I urge every one to walk around their community and look to see what is waiting to happen to your environments. The communities that will suffer from this spill coverers the entire Huron River minus about 3 miles north of the Clinton Huron connection. Although this spill is minor compared to others it doesn’t take much to add to a molehill to amount to a mountain.[/font][/size]
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]Hey there DCL - Wow - it is a good thing that you happened along and had the intuition to look for the source. As they say where there is smoke there is a fire. As in your situation where there is oil there is a leaking source some place. Good show![/size][/green][/font]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=9281;]
[signature]
I went back there this afternoon to check on the status of the situation.

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=9282;]

the Commerce Twp Fire Department had placed several floating oil absorbing pillows in several locations across the river to catch as much oil as they can. It will be days if not weeks before all the oil that washed ashore will wash back out again.

The source is still standing in the river as shown in the first report. the bulk of the spill has gone but you can still see a film across the river 200 feet from the source 3 days later.

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=9283;]

as for being credited for being the person for getting the ball rolling, sure I will take the fether for my cap for that, but we all know that when it comes to finding spills and contaminations that have been released on to our wild life it is our fellow hunters and anglers who are usualy the first on the seen to spot and raise alarm to these travisties....
[signature]
Day 5

I bet you thought I would have nothing new to report, well I know sure didnt expect to.

around noon today I was called by a reporter from the oakland press who wanted to meet me at the location and pick up any info that I may have missed in my report.

other than that the tank is still sitting in the river, the pillows are still tied across the river, oil sicks are still getting by the pillows and floating down the river.
[signature]
I hope that they get the problen taken care of, they should have had the tanks out of the water oh about day 1.5, let alone day 5. hopefully the ducks return adn it doesnt damage the fishing too badly.

oh ps: the line "local master angler (dave t. clown)" is extremly fitting, it seems that you are getting your due respect from other sources then just this web site.
[signature]