Fishing Forum

Full Version: Two bait setup?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just wondering if anyone has a good setup for keeping your lines untangled when using two baits at once?
[signature]
I usually use a sinker on the bottom with my fist hook set 12'' above the sinker, and the other hook 18-24 inches above that. never had a problem with tangles.
good luck!
[signature]
Garbage man is right,thats a good setup. PEACE!!!
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I do OK with a three-way swivel set-up. A sliding sinker on the main line then the swivel and your leaders and hooks out from there. Its a common set up and can be prone to crossing up sometimes. The key is to make sure they’re not crossed before you cast. Its not a perfect set-up but it works more often than not.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Flyingfish is right. A 3-way swivel is really the best way to go. It works best if one of the two leaders is longer than the other -- for example make one 18 inches long and the other 36 inches long. I use this rig almost exclusively for catfishing in Utah lake. It allows you to use two different baits at once, or two of the hot bait of the day. You can put a sliding sinker on above the swivel if you need to cast very far or need to get it deep, or you can use no weight at all which is what I prefer in the shallow waters of Utah Lake. This is what a 3way swivel looks like:

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=9345;]
[signature]
Hey garbageman,
Your set-up sounds almost like a double dropshot rig. Would that be accurate??
[signature]
Garbageman, do you have a diagram of your setup, or even better, a picture?

Your setup sounds similar to what I've used nymphing with my fly rod.

I'm curious to see how you rig it specifically, since it sounds like a pretty cool setup.

Thanks,

PF
[signature]
I've never looked at the different types of swivels available, I think I'll have to get me some of those three ways. I plan on doing some catfishing this afternoon, and maybe I'll find a combination that might catch a walley too. Last week I caught a few crappie at lincoln beach with a small black and green tube jig, and my father-in-law got lucky and hauled in a 23" walley with the same setup. Don't know exactly where I'll go today, the wind looks a little rough for my little aluminum boat. Thanks for the info.
[signature]

I also use the 3 way swivel system when I want to try two baits from the same line. The only time the second hook has been a pain for me on this rig is after the fish has been hooked.

When I'm directly above the fish I’m trying to catch I'll tie a palmer on the first one and then tie the second one on the tag end. It is the same concept as the dropshot rig except the sinker is replaced by another hook or jig.
[signature]
Here is a crude drawing of what he's talking about:

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=9348;]
[signature]
Hey fishingdaddy, do you mind sharing exactly where you caught the crappie? Was it by the boat ramp/dikes? Or was it out in open water, by the springs, etc?

I hope to go out there next Saturday and would like to catch a crappie or two if possible.
[signature]
Thanks for the diagram, Cat, but I believe Garbageman's description involved the hooks being tied about the weight. Am I right?
[signature]
Sounds like Garbageman is using a drop shot rig with two hooks. A second palomar knot could be used above or below the one knot below.

[Image: dropshot_illustration.jpg]
[signature]
That's what I was envisioning, Kent, thanks. I've used this dropshot method while fishing for smallies at Lake X.

I was just curious if Garbageman tied his hook right to his line via a Palomar knot (which I know how to do) or if his hook was attached to a separate line off of the main line, like we fly fishers sometimes do?

I appreciate the diagrams thus far, but I was hoping Garbageman might elaborate, since he writes as if he's had success using his setup in the past.
[signature]
Actually those are not quite correct. I take my line about 12 inches above the sinker, ( so that the sinker lays on the bottom and my bailt floats above) and I make a loop in the line. Then I slide the loop of the fishing hook line ( not the eye of the hook ) over the loop in the line. I then pass the hook through the first loop 2 times if I want the hook to slide up and down, or three times if I want it to stay put. I then fasten the second hook 12-18 inches above the first. I find that this works well especially in clear water. having the two hooks at different positions on the line, it doesnt have a tendancy to tangle. sometimes I will even tie the hooks 2-3 feet above the sinker if I am fishing in an area that has a weedy bottom.
I will be at East Canyon tomorrow if anyone is interested. My son went the other day and said that the action was pretty fast.
[signature]
here is a very crude and not to scale drawing. hope it helps

now you can see why i'm a garbageman and not an artist.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]The set up you use is similar to the bait leaders we used when I was a kid in the SF Bay area. Our leaders were tied from heavier mono like 20 lb and had two loops to attach snelled bait hooks. With heavier mono, the loops stick out and don't lay flat. At the bottom (the sinker end) it had a snap swivel for attaching different sinkers and a swivel at the tag end to eliminate line twist. [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I've caught a lot of stripers and cats using that very same set up and the nice thing is you don't have any tangle ups and it keeps the bait just off the bottom.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]