Fishing Forum

Full Version: How to catch perch in the Summer?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The basic approach to catching perch always seems to contain the term "walk out on the ice."

What are the basics on catching perch in the Summer?
[signature]
not to sound like a smart a-- but it' really as simple as putting a chunk of nightcrawler on a hook with a sinker pinched on your line and chucking it out into rocky areas or brushy areas. If the perch are in the area you'll catch 'em like crazy.
[signature]
I catch them on either a piece of worm or a jig under a bobber. I've also caught a few on spinners.
[signature]
Jordanelle and night crawlers should do the trick [Wink]
[signature]
basic approach in the summer is to put any thing that is made for small trout on your line tip it with a worm or pice of perch meat.. your ready to catch perch..
[signature]
All those tactics will work fine from shore and a boat,But I like to fish vertical for them,A plian 1/8 oz jig head,with a big piece of perch meat(1/2"wide X 1 1/2" long),The bigger piece of perch meat will keep the smaller fish from taking the bait so when you get one on it will usally be bigger,Jig heads are cheap and I usally lose quite a few when fishing at jordenell and deer creek.
Move if you are getting alot of hits but not catching any,perch seem to hold in schools of the same size,bigger perch will school up together,and I have found bigger perch in deeper water,15 to 30ft.
good luck,FNF[cool]
[signature]
[reply]
I catch them on either a piece of worm or a jig under a bobber. I've also caught a few on spinners. [/reply]

I used this technique at Lake X last year in some of the protected bays and coves and couldn't keep the perch off my line.
[signature]
Me too. I've also caught them that way at Pineview, Hyrum and Mantua. It always seems to work.
[signature]
The best perch bait I've ever used is perch eyes. Of course you have to catch one first. They're very durable too--you can catch a bunch on a single eye.
[signature]